This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] New mouse settings: how to disable acceleration?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sparhawk
Registered Member
OS
I just updated to Plasma 5.13.2 (on Arch Linux), and I noticed the System Settings mouse controls look different.

What do these new settings mean? It looks like the help document hasn't been updated yet. Specifically, is it possible to disable mouse acceleration? I expected "Acceleration Profile" as "Flat" would mean no acceleration. The "Acceleration" slider itself just seems to change mouse velocity.

Last edited by sparhawk on Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
lcronos
Registered Member
OS
After playing with it, it feels like the slider is what you want. I'm not sure what flat vs adaptive does, but turn the slider all the way up to max and you'll feel the acceleration, turning it down to low and you don't feel any acceleration.
sparhawk
Registered Member
OS
lcronos wrote:After playing with it, it feels like the slider is what you want. I'm not sure what flat vs adaptive does, but turn the slider all the way up to max and you'll feel the acceleration, turning it down to low and you don't feel any acceleration.

Thanks for the reply. On my system, the slider has the (additional?) effect of changing the fixed velocity of the cursor. So if I turn it all the way down, the cursor moves incredibly slowly. I'm interested in having zero acceleration, but still a medium velocity. Perhaps I'll have to use xinput for the velocity part.

=EDIT=

Actually, I just re-tested the lowest position of the slider (with flat), and it's applying negative acceleration! That is, if I move the mouse rapidly, the cursor travels less distance.
sparhawk
Registered Member
OS
The above screenshot and testing was from my work computer. I just realised that my home computer has a different configuration panel for the mouse. Both are running Arch and KDE Plasma, so I'm not sure what is different. My home computer (screenshot below) appears to have more precise (and clearer) settings than the "dumbed down" version in the first post.

sparhawk
Registered Member
OS
Could anyone please help me? If I can get the original "expert" pane up, I think that would suffice.
subdiff
Registered Member
OS
Work computer has libinput Xserver driver installed, home computer doesn't.

The dumbed down one is what libinput supports. If you want to have the old version, uninstall libinput Xserver driver.
sparhawk
Registered Member
OS
Thank you for the response. I checked, and both systems have both libinput and xf86-input-libinput installed.

It was a good idea though, so I checked for any other differences in (explicitly) installed packages, with pacman -Qe. I then did a diff and looked through the results. The only package that looked anything close to promising was xorg-xinput, which was only installed on the home computer. After uninstalling that, however, I was still presented with the advanced settings.

EDIT
I posted in the Arch forum, where it was explained that the advanced settings panel was the evdev version. After setting evdev for my mouse in xorg.conf, I get the advanced panel again.