This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Changing default file manager

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
St??phane ANCELOT
Registered Member
OS

Changing default file manager

Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:20 pm
Hi,
I have got some problems to set xfce caja as default filemanager.

I removed dolphin. I tried updating /etc/xdg/applications/mimeapps.list but it has not help, it is always launching filelight instead.
any idea.?
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Re: Changing default file manager

Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:16 pm
There are a couple of places in System Settings where you'd need to set up the default file manager.
The first is in Default Applications -> File Manager, which is used for any places which just request to open a file manager.
The second is in File Associations, primarily for the inode/directory mime type.

These settings are saved per-user and would override anything set in /etc, so if you are needing to do it for all users on a system, you'd need to start by updating things in /etc and then make sure to remove any per-user settings. (also, I'm pretty sure each desktop would provide its own set of defaults so that the default FM would be Nautilus in Gnome, Dolphin in Plasma, etc)

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
St??phane ANCELOT
Registered Member
OS

Re: Changing default file manager

Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:04 am
Ok, I did it in Default Applications -> File Manager and did the trick.

Following the xdg specifications, it is modifying ~/.config/mimeapps.list , for a system wide settings, I moved it to /etc/xdg.

https://specifications.freedesktop.org/ ... c-1.0.html