This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Plasmashell crashes and doesn't start after 18.04 -> 18.04.1

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
soeiro
Registered Member
I've been looking for this issue all over the Internet and it seems that either there is nobody using Kubuntu 18.04.1 or I'm one "lucky" person...

I have an installation that started at Kubuntu 14.04, then moved to 15.04, 16.04, then all 16.04 patches and lately to 18.04 (before the final LTS) and now to Kubuntu 18.04.1.

Unfortunately, the latest upgrade (from 18.04 to 18.04.1) has just broken plasmashell. It crashes and if I try to start it again from the command line, it crashes again. I've tried to report it on the ubuntu bugs, but there is more than one week and nobody has commented on it. So, there will be two weeks without a working environment for some people and I'm really getting a bit nervous.

I've already tried to:

• Create a new user to rule out upgrade problems in configuration files. But plasmashell also crashes at start up;
  • Downgrade plasma-workplace to the previous version (4:5.12.4-0ubuntu3, currently: 4:5.12.6-0ubuntu0.1 );
  • Delete the current printer configuration;
  • Remove all packages related to Discover;

None of that has changed anything (unless there is something else I should remove related to discover).
My computer is a regular desktop with an Intel integrated GPU (so, it doesn't seem to be a Nvidia or AMD driver issue). Kwin seems to be fine, even with plasmashell crashing.

1) Does anybody out there use Kubuntu?
2) What could I do to gather more information?
3) Any hints?

Desperate guy here.

---------------------------
Plasmashell output:

Code: Select all
$ plasmashell
org.kde.plasmaquick: Applet preload policy set to 1
last screen is < 0 so putting containment on screen  0
Warning: all files used by qml by the plasmoid should be in ui/. The file in the path "file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/code/LayoutManager.js" was expected at QUrl("file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/ui/LayoutManager.js")
Warning: all files used by qml by the plasmoid should be in ui/. The file in the path "file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/code/FolderTools.js" was expected at QUrl("file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/ui/FolderTools.js")
kf5.kpackage: No metadata file in the package, expected it at: "/home/regularuser/Documentos/drawings/"
kf5.kpackage: No metadata file in the package, expected it at: "/home/regularuser/Documentos/drawings/"
trying to show an empty dialog
No file found for ".xml" , even though update-mime-info said it would exist.
Either it was just removed, or the directory doesn't have executable permission... ("/home/regularuser/.local/share/mime", "/usr/share/mime")
file:///usr/share/plasma/wallpapers/org.kde.slideshow/contents/ui/main.qml:261:18: Unable to assign [undefined] to bool
file:///usr/share/plasma/wallpapers/org.kde.slideshow/contents/ui/main.qml:273:18: Unable to assign [undefined] to bool
file:///usr/share/plasma/wallpapers/org.kde.slideshow/contents/ui/main.qml:283:18: Unable to assign [undefined] to bool
file:///usr/share/plasma/wallpapers/org.kde.slideshow/contents/ui/main.qml:295:18: Unable to assign [undefined] to bool
file:///usr/share/plasma/wallpapers/org.kde.slideshow/contents/ui/main.qml:295:18: Unable to assign [undefined] to bool
file:///usr/share/plasma/wallpapers/org.kde.slideshow/contents/ui/main.qml:283:18: Unable to assign [undefined] to bool
file:///usr/share/plasma/wallpapers/org.kde.slideshow/contents/ui/main.qml:273:18: Unable to assign [undefined] to bool
file:///usr/share/plasma/wallpapers/org.kde.slideshow/contents/ui/main.qml:261:18: Unable to assign [undefined] to bool
No file found for ".xml" , even though update-mime-info said it would exist.
Either it was just removed, or the directory doesn't have executable permission... ("/home/regularuser/.local/share/mime", "/usr/share/mime")
kf5.kpackage: No metadata file in the package, expected it at: "/home/regularuser/Documentos/Marketing/internal-memos/"
kf5.kpackage: No metadata file in the package, expected it at: "/home/regularuser/Documentos/Marketing/internal-memos/"
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
Trying to use rootObject before initialization is completed, whilst using setInitializationDelayed. Forcing completion
Loading Calendar plugin PimEventsPlugin(0x55ff280c45e0)
Loading Calendar plugin HolidaysEventsPlugin(0x55ff281003b0)
Both point size and pixel size set. Using pixel size.
org.kde.plasmaquick: New Applet  "Relógio digital" with a weight of 0
KActivities: Database connection:  "kactivities_db_resources_140238744233984_readonly"
    query_only:          QVariant(qlonglong, 1)
    journal_mode:        QVariant(QString, "wal")
    wal_autocheckpoint:  QVariant(qlonglong, 100)
    synchronous:         QVariant(qlonglong, 0)
Closing SQL connection:  "kactivities_db_resources_140238744233984_readonly"
KActivities: Database connection:  "kactivities_db_resources_140238744233984_readonly"
    query_only:          QVariant(qlonglong, 1)
    journal_mode:        QVariant(QString, "wal")
    wal_autocheckpoint:  QVariant(qlonglong, 100)
    synchronous:         QVariant(qlonglong, 0)
Nothing to load - the client id is empty
Nothing to load - the client id is empty
org.kde.plasmaquick: New Applet  "Menu de aplicativos" with a weight of 95
Warning: all files used by qml by the plasmoid should be in ui/. The file in the path "file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.panel/contents/code/LayoutManager.js" was expected at QUrl("file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.panel/contents/ui/LayoutManager.js")
org.kde.plasmaquick: New Applet  "Cofres" with a weight of 0
libkcups: Create-Printer-Subscriptions last error: 0 successful-ok
org.kde.plasmaquick: New Applet  "Impressoras" with a weight of 7
libkcups: Get-Jobs last error: 0 successful-ok
libkcups: Get-Jobs last error: 0 successful-ok
org.kde.plasmaquick: New Applet  "KDE Connect" with a weight of 0
org.kde.plasmaquick: New Applet  "Notificação de dispositivos" with a weight of 0
Warning: all files used by qml by the plasmoid should be in ui/. The file in the path "file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/code/uiproperties.js" was expected at QUrl("file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/uiproperties.js")
org.kde.plasmaquick: New Applet  "Notificações" with a weight of 0
org.kde.plasmaquick: New Applet  "Volume do áudio" with a weight of 0
org.kde.plasmaquick: New Applet  "Área de transferência" with a weight of 0
Plasma Shell startup completed
libkcups: 2
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/bin/plasmashell from kdeinit
sock_file=/run/user/1003/kdeinit5__0
KCrash: crashing... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = plasmashell path = /usr/bin pid = 3601
KCrash: Arguments: /usr/bin/plasmashell
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
sock_file=/run/user/1003/kdeinit5__0
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 8 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 18 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 9 and type 'Read', disabling...

[1]+  Parado                  plasmashell

barinax
Registered Member
I have the same issue, I have the feeling that this is related to the nvidia card I have and some configuration. But I haven't found anything useful yet