This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Setting up dual displays with different aspect ratios?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jonmoore
Registered Member
OS
So, I have a Thinkpad x220, fully specced out, running 5.13, and I often use it at home connected to a dock (which uses vga to connect to a projector)

The issue here is that I also use it docked as a media centre, with a wireless keyboard.

The setup I used to have in Windows 10 let me duplicate my displays: the laptop maintains a 16:10 ratio with a max resolution of 1366x768, while the (older) projector maxes out at 720p, 1280x1024, with a 5:4 ratio. This allows me to not lose my mouse on the wrong screen and easily set up content.

The issue I have in Neon is that when I try to sync the displays ( I assume that's the same as duplicating in Win10?), it overlays the projector "screen" on top of the laptop screen.

I've tried to set them both to an identical resolution, but that only produces black bars on the laptop, drastically reducing screen real estate.

Is there a way to force the projector to use an (albeit black barred) 16:10 resolution so it scales better when I sync the displays?

Thanks in advance!
toad
Global Moderator
OS
Go into systemsettings - Hardware - Display and Monitor and select your laptop as your primary output (drop down menu in the middle of the screen).

HTH

Debian testing