This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Removing widgets from the workspace

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
hstoellinger
Registered Member

Removing widgets from the workspace

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:16 pm
Hello,
Having installed KDE 5.12 on top of Mint 19, I somehow got two widgets on everyone of my four defined virtual workspaces. These are "Personal Folder" and "Trash".
I don't want these displayed at all but cannot find a way how to remove them. Any hints are very welcome.
Regards
H. Stoellinger
jcompton
Registered Member
You should be able to find the according links in your Desktop directory under your home directory: ~/Desktop

There, using a shell, you can either delete the links, or save them for later use into another folder.

Alternatively, you can right-click on the icons on the desktop and move them to another folder, or delete them, although I believe deleting is not possible with the trashcan icon/link.
hstoellinger
Registered Member
Thanks for replying so timely!
However - I cannot find a directory "Desktop" under my home directory (i.e. /home/hs).
Regarding right-clicking on the widgets:
I can then do things such as cut, copy, trash or rename. Having been "burnt" in the
past - I hope that cutting or trashing the widget (eg. with the URL /home/hs) doesn't
delete my home directory. This may be a stupid feeling, but "better be careful than
sorry... "
Thanks for your help
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
If you right-click on the desktop and select Desktop settings (may be called something different, such as Folder View Desktop settings), there should be a tab on the side for configuring the folder location which should tell you want directory it is using.

Though if the desktop isn't set up as a Folder View desktop (evidenced by the desktop settings dialog not having a tab for configuring the folder location; also there's a drop-down on the first tab for selecting the type of desktop which will tell you what it is set to), then those icons would just be shortcut widgets which can be removed without problems.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
hstoellinger
Registered Member
Hello again - and thanks for your hint! It worked perfectly. My system is set to German, which sometimes causes problems with English texts...
Regards
H. S.