This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Noob requesting assistance

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
drift
Registered Member

Noob requesting assistance

Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:21 am
Hello, Forum. I finally decided to make the switch (well, I'm dual-booting). After doing some research it seems as if Plasma 5 is a perfect fit for me. I require separate workspaces with separate icons and wallpapers. I am currently running Neon, but it seems as if some of these features were removed, so my question is this, where can I find a torrent/download of KDE 5? I've looked everywhere I could find with no luck. Any help would be much appreciated.
robgriff444
Registered Member
OS

Re: Noob requesting assistance

Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:19 am
What features were removed? Do you mean workspace switching?

If so, check if you are using wayland because I think workspace switching is one of the features missing in wayland so you could switch to x11.

To check, look for the following environment variable by typing

Code: Select all
env | grep XDG_SESSION_TYPE

and if it says wayland, try switching to X11 (log out and choose Plasma in Desktop Session at the bottom left of the login screen.

Neon Unstable, AMD RX570, Steam (skyrim for now), Vivaldi, btrfs (with apt-btrfs-snapshot), bug-reporter
drift
Registered Member

Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:40 pm
First of all, let me say thank you very much for your reply. Sorry it took me so long, my Bluetooth keyboard decided to stop working. I entered the command you provided and I am using x11/Plasma. Specifically the features I am seeking are the ability o open separate workspaces with different Icons and wallpapers. Everything I've read says these features were removed. If that is not the case perhaps you could tell me how?
mparillo
Registered Member
OS

Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:44 pm
What might meet your needs is separate Activities. This might give you some ideas:
http://www.ocsmag.com/2017/03/16/how-pl ... e-desktop/
drift
Registered Member

Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:59 pm
Thanks for the reply. I have tried using the Activities, but I can't get the icons and wallpapers to change. Any idea how?
drift
Registered Member

Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:02 pm
Sorry guys, I am very new and Google only is getting me so far. These features are a deal-breaker for me. I have been trying different distros all night. Where can I find Plasma 5?
robgriff444
Registered Member
OS

Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:45 pm
Bit confused here, you're using Plasma 5 aren't you? If you're on Neon (and probably the same on most KDE distros) open Info Centre and it will tell you the Plasma version. Current version released is 5.12.

And as far as your requirements, use Activities - right-click on the desktop select Activities and then you can add a new one - that should be what you need.

Neon Unstable, AMD RX570, Steam (skyrim for now), Vivaldi, btrfs (with apt-btrfs-snapshot), bug-reporter