This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Superkaramba

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Eazy
Registered Member
OS

Superkaramba

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:37 pm
Hi!
Superkaramba (plasma-scriptengine-superkaramba) seems have been dropped. Would it still be possible to install it by compiling from source?
I'm on latest KDE Neon.

Edit:
Never mind. I was brave enough to download and install the package from Ubuntu Trusty (14.04) and got it working :)
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Re: Superkaramba

Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:35 pm
I'm curious what widgets or functionality you want from SuperKaramba which aren't available in Plasma itself?

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
Eazy
Registered Member
OS

Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:29 pm
Widgets I made myself for Superkaramba when I made themes for KDE3.
https://store.kde.org/hive/show/content ... 09d/page/1
There are widgets in plasma I could use, but I find them... hmm, how can i say it nice... Well, ugly :P
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:02 pm
I wonder if it would be worth the effort to port them to Plasma/Qml? from what I've seen (and based on superkaramba support being dropped) superkaramba is basically deprecated in favor of plasma widgets/theming.

Eazy
Registered Member
OS

Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:47 pm
airdrik wrote:I wonder if it would be worth the effort to port them to Plasma/Qml? from what I've seen (and based on superkaramba support being dropped) superkaramba is basically deprecated in favor of plasma widgets/theming.

Do you mean porting themes I/others made for superkaramba?

Standard themes made today for all Desktop environment /OSX/Windows/Linux/Android is really simple looking. It is mostly one color square "design" with black text on white backgrounds. All icons is flat, etc. I think the effort is leaning towards functionality than good looks. To me, that is not design at all and is boring to look at. This is of course my personal opinion. I might be old school when it comes to design. Most people today don't care about how it looks and I might be one of the few that cares and wants something nice to look at.

I would gladly port all themes I made for KDE3 if I had the knowledge to do so (I did try and failed). It is really hard to make a theme like Azenis as KDE4/5 is based on svg images. Something I really don't know how to do. I think this is true for most designers (I don't count me as one). Making themes based on png-images is much easier. Making python scripts (for theme things that needs it) is something even I can understand how to make, and I'm no coder.

I think it is really a shame that things like Superkaramba gets thrown out (I also miss Dekorator). Throwing out things just because it is old is no reason (there might be other reason i don't know about). I do understand that plasma-widgets are made to be resizable to fit all resolutions, but the nature of that idea is that they will be very plain in their design, leading to something I don't want on my desktop.

I hope this don't looks like a rant, it is just my opinion :) No mater what i say, Superkaramba will not be taking back in, and eventually dependencies that Superkaramba need will probably also be thrown out.

Edit:
This is how my system info theme with Superkaramba looks:
http://www.bronsaldersvagen.se/Eazy/scp.png
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:14 pm
Just because the current trend is for the uber-flat design doesn't mean that there's no interest in non-flat designs; there have been plenty of people who've complained about the uber-flat designs over the years. I think we're still waiting to see the pendulum swing back to a more living/feeling style where elements have more character to them.

I understand about the hurdle of switching from png to svg. I believe you can embed png (raster) images in svg, so that might be worth exploring. Fundamentally svg is just an xml file with descriptions of the shapes used. There should even be python packages which you could use to create the svg files.

As for why abandon working software? Software is in a constant state of evolution. Old but working software is abandoned all the time because there's little interest in keeping it up-to-date - especially when there are newer, better alternatives. Naturally it's disappointing when you rely on such software as now you are forced to either continue using unmaintained/abandoned software or switch to something different, neither of which is very easy. Superkaramba was technically superseded with Plasma 4. It was just a matter of time before it would be dropped. That said, the code is still there in the "unmaintained", so you could continue to build it yourself (insofar as the dependencies are still available).

I dug up this thread which links to some of the discussion around it: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread. ... perKaramba