This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Desktop icon and widget placement corruption on startup

Tags: desktop, widgets, icons, plasmoids, placement, startup desktop, widgets, icons, plasmoids, placement, startup desktop, widgets, icons, plasmoids, placement, startup
(comma "," separated)
TheDcoder
Registered Member
OS
Hello again,

I have had this issue for a very long time but I only got motivated enough to post about this issue now. Every time I start my computer there is a good chance that one of my desktop widgets or icons have changed their place.

The CPU and Memory widgets regularly get displaced by a certain offset, but less often the icons are also misplaced from their original location. On very rare occasions the bottom panel (task bar?) is also displaced to somewhere near the middle of the screen.

I managed to capture this as screenshots today, I cannot embed the images as the forum complains that they cannot be wider than 720 pixels :-\

The Imgur gallery has 2 examples of the corruption with a 3rd picture with original placement for reference. I am using Fedora 29 KDE Spin and Nvidia Graphics if that matters...

Thanks for the help in advance! :)
TheDcoder
Registered Member
OS
Forgot to mention this but my resolution has always been constant, but for a brief period of time I can see that the desktop uses a smaller area of the screen during start-up, maybe this is somehow related to my problem?
Rog131
Registered Member
Maybe: Bug 354802 - Desktop Icon position gets scrambled sometimes on reboot - https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=354802
TheDcoder
Registered Member
OS
The bug indeed seems to be related, I have made a comment and have attached the screenshots as well: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=354802#c24

Thanks Rog131!
TheDcoder
Registered Member
OS
An update regarding the situation, turns out that the bug was related, but was only responsible for the icon placement and not for widget. Fortunately they have fixed the icons, thanks to those involved.

Sadly Fedora 29 does not have this bugfix in their repository, and will likely won't have it until version 30 (because of their package updating rules), here is how I found out about it by taking help from a user in IRC:
[11:04:07] <TheDcoder> Hi, can anyone confirm that this bug fix has been included in the latest release of plasma-5.14 available in the F29 repo?
[11:04:21] <TheDcoder> https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=354802#c35
[11:04:54] <TheDcoder> If not, how long until it will likely get updated to include this fix?
[11:52:29] <Kevin_Kofler> TheDcoder: This was committed to the 5.14 branch on 2019-01-30. So it missed the 5.14.5 release, which was the last planned 5.14.x release.
[11:52:50] <Kevin_Kofler> 5.15.0 released 2019-02-07 should have the fix though.
[11:53:00] <Kevin_Kofler> But we don't ship that in Fedora yet.
[11:53:21] <Kevin_Kofler> The 5.15 Beta = 5.14.90 in Rawhide is from 2019-01-17, so it also does not have this commit yet.
[11:54:15] <Kevin_Kofler> Well, actually, Rawhide has 5.15.0 as of 2019-02-14, rdieter needs to update the topic. :-)
[11:54:37] <Kevin_Kofler> But F29 is on 5.14.4, which does not have the fix.
[11:55:39] <Kevin_Kofler> The fix is also not backported in Fedora packaging, so I can confirm that unfortunately Fedora does NOT carry this fix at this time.

So that leaves me with fixing the issue about widget placement, does anyone know where to start looking?