This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Windows Constantly Freezing/Glitching

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Xendi
Registered Member

Windows Constantly Freezing/Glitching

Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:22 pm
I've been using KDE for years. I've been experiencing this same problem now for the past couple years. Seemingly at random, about 10 times a day, one of my windows will glitch out and freeze. This is usually a browser window but not always. For instance, WebTorrent froze right before I started this post. Of course, many desktop apps these days are based on Chromium so there might be a connection there. However, this problem is not isolated to Chromium. This behavior happens to:

Chromium
Chrome
Firefox
Opera
WebTorrent

When it happens, the window glitches. If it's a browser window, I can still see the content. If I try to switch tabs by clicking a different one, it will go to that tab so that I can ctrl+c to copy the URL of whatever was there but it won't show me the actual contents of the tab. The window will glitch its display and appear to not switch tabs even though it has (Since I can copy the URL of that tab).

KDE Plasma Version: 5.14.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.52.0
QT Version: 5.11.2
Kernel Version: 4.19.6-1-MANJARO

This problem is not isolated to this distro. I experienced this same problem for over a year (Maybe 2) on KDE Neon. I've had enough of it, especially now that I've switched distros. I will perform any debugging requested of me. Please tell me how to get to them bottom of this for an in-depth report. If there's already some fix, I'd love to know it.

Thank you
Xendi
Registered Member
robbyrow wrote:
Xendi wrote:I've been using KDE for years. I've been experiencing this same problem now for the past couple years. Seemingly at random, about 10 times a day, one of my windows will glitch out and freeze. This is usually a browser window but not always. For instance, WebTorrent froze right before I started this post. Of course, many desktop apps these days are based on Chromium so there might be a connection there. However, this problem is not isolated to Chromium. This behavior happens to:

Chromium
Chrome
Firefox
Opera
WebTorrent

When it happens, the window glitches. If it's a browser window, I can still see the content. If I try to switch tabs by clicking a different one, it will go to that tab so that I can ctrl+c to copy the URL of whatever was there but it won't show me the actual contents of the tab. The window will glitch its display and appear to not switch tabs even though it has (Since I can copy the URL of that tab).

KDE Plasma Version: 5.14.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.52.0
QT Version: 5.11.2
Kernel Version: 4.19.6-1-MANJARO

This problem is not isolated to this distro. I experienced this same problem for over a year (Maybe 2) on KDE Neon. I've had enough of it, especially now that I've switched distros. I will perform any debugging requested of me. Please tell me how to get to them bottom of this for an in-depth report. If there's already some fix, I'd love to know it.

Thank you

And if the problem continues try to downgrade your KDE Plasma Version. And do this to reinstall all your browsers.

This problem has been occurring for many past versions across many distros. I would rather get some debug output so KDE can fix it. Please advise what would be required.
Xendi
Registered Member
I did some more searching. I think it could be this: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=353983#c142

Related discussion also here: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1029568/the-situation-on-kde-kwin-plasma-performance/?offset=21

One possible solution here (Though doubtful): https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA/Troubleshooting#1._GL_threads

Will try and report back.