This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to debug KDE plasma

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
magick.crow
Registered Member

How to debug KDE plasma

Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:16 pm
Hello, I have a bug but don't know how to properly report it or document it. I understand normal debugging. I was a programmer.

The problem is that when I edit Applications and change from Blender vs 1 to vs 2 and save it. Then I click to start the program and up pops a dialog in the panel saying that plasma crashed but I can't do anything. This happens anytime I change a program in the editor. If I reboot plasma then it all works fine. The only way out is the use ctrl alt backspace and sign in again. At this point the bug report is gone.

What should I do next?

Thanks.
Douglas E Knapp
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: How to debug KDE plasma

Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:13 pm
Maybe state your exact Plasma version and distribution first. If your Plasma version is fairly recent (current should be 5.14.5), I suggest to check the existing bugreports to see if this has not already been reported: https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?bug_se ... ion=5.14.5
The above is a link to the currently reported crashes on all 5.14.x releases

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
magick.crow
Registered Member

Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:44 pm
Thanks. I will check. For info
Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.14.5
Qt Version: 5.12.0
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.54.0
Kernel Version: 4.19.16-1-MANJARO
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Nvidia GTX 580
Memory: 15.6 GiB of RAM

Bug is not in the list of 23 bugs.
But I still can't say much useful. I have no debug info because I need to reboot after the bug happens. Is there some way to get it?
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:37 pm
magick.crow wrote:Bug is not in the list of 23 bugs.
But I still can't say much useful. I have no debug info because I need to reboot after the bug happens. Is there some way to get it?

There should be a log file in /var/crash/, check there first, else you could check the various debugging suggestions in https://community.kde.org/Guidelines_an ... sh_reports

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
magick.crow
Registered Member

Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:21 pm
The whole reason I posted here is because that page is not relevant. It assumes that you have an app that is crashing but in this case it is KDE itself that crashes, leaving you with no way to do anything.
magick.crow
Registered Member

Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:47 pm
There is on /var/crash