This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

App Dashboard Widget is no longer.. but hey Windows is here!

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
scotthews
Registered Member
So just ran an update on my 18.04 Kubuntu desktop and noticed my 'Application Dashboard' widget had disappeared. Doesn't seem to exist anymore, but I do seem to be able to add a new Menu Launcher that's been written to try to make my machine more like Windows. Errrr....Why!!!!

So..Question 1....How can I get my 'Application Launcher' widget back which is so much better that a Windows Start menu? and ....Question 2.... Why would someone be trying to make KDE/Plasma look more like Windows?

I love the fact that KDE/Plasma is so customisable, but I don't like, without performing a distro-upgrade, to see my desktop experience changed. Fine, add a Windows Start Menu for those that may be feel they need it ( :D ), but please leave the great stuff that's already there....well there for those of us that want Linux!

Here's to my first really disappointing day using KDE/Plasma! :'(
scotthews
Registered Member
OK - so, I still had another desktop that hadn't yet had updates applied and found the 'org.kde.plasma.kickerdash' widget. Copied this folder back into 'usr/share/plasma/plasmoids' on the update desktop and hey presto 'Application Dashboard' is back as a widget.

What I still don't understand is why it got removed for a **** Windows look-alike menu!!

Maybe I'm missing the point...possibly....
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
I'd have assumed that It should have still been installed.
Double-check that you have the plasma-widgets-addons package installed. (one idea is that the application dashboard widget got moved from a base package to the addons package which didn't get installed during the upgrade).

As for why the windowsy menu? People like certain features of the windows menu and wanted something which did that in KDE, so someone made on that did. You can find other menu alternatives at: https://store.kde.org/browse/cat/398/ (you should be able to install any of them using Discover). If you don't like the windows menu, then I'd suggest skipping right past the Tiled Menu ;) .

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.