This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Forcing an app to stay on top

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
interele
Registered Member
OS

Forcing an app to stay on top

Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:01 am
The short version :-Can I force an app to always launch with the 'keep above others' active
The long version :- I am using openSUSE Tumbleweed and OpenBoard on 2 screens ( extended to right).
If I start something like Impress and then start my presentation so it goes full screen on the right screen
it goes over the top of the OpenBoard control window. You can always pick that option once it's running but
that might be a bit much for some of my users.

Ta

Mal
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Re: Forcing an app to stay on top

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:09 pm
Yes you can:

Open the app, right-click on the titlebar (or hit Alt+F3) and select More Actions -> Special Application Settings. This will bring up a dialog for customizing the display and management of windows for that application. Under Arrangement & Access you can check Keep above and use the drop-down to select the pecularities of how it keeps track of that setting for that application. You probably want to use Force to set it as a permanent and unchangable setting, or Remember to set it to just keep track of what the last setting was when you close the app.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
interele
Registered Member
OS

Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:08 am
That doesn't work. As soon as you click to the next slide it goes over the top of OpenBoard again :-(

Ta

Mal
interele
Registered Member
OS

Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:36 am
Has anyone any thoughts on this. It is my last remaining issue to going completely GNU/Linux everywhere

Ta

Mal
interele
Registered Member
OS

Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:05 am
Still stuck on this !! :-(

It works on Cinnamon but not Plasma

I really don't want people to have to use Cinnamon

Is it a feature/bug/what am I doing wrong ?
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:12 pm
You might try just filing a case to bugs.kde.org to see if you get any more feedback over there.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
interele
Registered Member
OS

Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:25 am
Just complete this thread. I reported it as a bug since what I wanted to do worked in Cinnamon
They came back saying Plasma follows the spec whereas Cinnamon doesn't which is why it worked,
so the bug was closed as expected behaviour, however, they provided a little script which gets
around the problem nicely. If anyone has a similar problem the scripts in the thread of bug 406392

Mal