This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Widget Dashboard not working

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kstefan
Registered Member

Widget Dashboard not working

Sat May 04, 2019 12:35 pm
Hello All.

As Kubuntu 14.04 reached EOL, I installed 18.04 featuring Plasma 5, etc. & I tried to configure everything to work as before. Unfortunately, I was not able yet to launch the Widget Dashboard that usually can be opened pressing Ctrl+F12. Neither was I able to set one of the desktop corners to launch it as I am used to, nor opened it as expected using the shortcut.

Can somebody please guide me how to set it up to work as it did before using KDE 4. Thank you.

Regrds,
Stefan
Eric Adams
Registered Member
OS

Re: Widget Dashboard not working

Fri May 10, 2019 4:17 pm
Stefan,

I believe the dashboard wasn't brought forward into Plasma 5 (source - viewtopic.php?f=289&t=133382). Widgets now either live on the desktop itself or in a panel. To add widgets, right click the desktop and choose Add Widgets. This will open a tray on the left edge of the screen showing the available widgets. From there, you can drag one to the desktop or to a panel. Hope this helps.

-Eric
kstefan
Registered Member

Re: Widget Dashboard not working

Sat May 11, 2019 5:15 pm
Hi Eric,

thanks for your comment. It's a pity the widget dashboard does not exist anymore: Widgets on the dashboard - except folder view - are nonsense for me, the desktop will be just cluttered. And having them in a panel is... Don't know how to say ;) . Widget dashboard was so useful for me, clean desktop and moving the mouse to desktop corner brought my widgets. Don't understand why and very sad that it was just removed...
Anyway, thank you again for your explanation and your willingness to help. Have a good weekend.

Stefan