This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Dark themes partially apply on application windows

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
vbeljan
Registered Member
Hi everyone, my first post here.

I'm using KDE Plasma on Antergos, and at some point, an update a couple of months ago seems to have broken something about applying colors to windows. The window panels (if that's the correct term) stay white at all times and the fonts likewise seem to remain dark. Here's a screenshot of Dolphin to illustrate what it looks like with a dark theme applied: https://imgur.com/x70XN6c

Plasma version currently is 5.15.5, although it wasn't exactly this version that caused this.
Changing the colors of windows manually has zero effect. I have also tried installing new dark themes from the menu to make sure that what I'm using isn't outdated, but it always looks the same regardless which one I apply. I tried removing the following configuration files from my home dir and starting configuration anew, but to no avail:
Code: Select all
plasma-localerc
plasma-nm 
plasmarc 
plasmawindowed-appletsrc 
plasmawindowedrc 

I saw a few of nearly identical issues where the issue was the GTK theme, but the changes they recommended had no effect.

I'm quite new to KDE and Plasma, so I didn't know what else to try and I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction in terms of what to try out next.

Thanks in advance!
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
Oftentimes theme changes may require restarting the application to fully take effect.
However, the problem you describe seems more involved than just restarting the application. I would have expected at least those parts of the window to have updated to the new colors when you changed and applied the dark theme.

What style do you have selected under System Settings -> Application Style -> Widget Style? Some Widget styles may not respond to the color scheme as one would expect (notably Adwaita(-Dark) which uses a hard-coded color scheme, Kvantum which is tied to the color scheme defined by the kvantum theme and gtk2 which depends on what you have selected for GNOME Application Style for gtk 2 apps)

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
vbeljan
Registered Member
Hi, thanks for the response.

Right now the style is Breeze, but the preview in the settings application does not look anything like the actual application when it's launched. I tried changing that too, but no luck.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
I wonder if something is up with the QT_QPA_PLATFORM environment variable telling it to not use KDE's settings..

Dolphin (and many other KDE apps) has a command-line parameter for overriding the platform style settings and using what you specify:
dolphin --style breeze

Try that and see if it uses the breeze style with the expected color scheme.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
vbeljan
Registered Member
airdrik wrote:I wonder if something is up with the QT_QPA_PLATFORM environment variable telling it to not use KDE's settings..

Dolphin (and many other KDE apps) has a command-line parameter for overriding the platform style settings and using what you specify:
dolphin --style breeze

Try that and see if it uses the breeze style with the expected color scheme.

Wow, that actually worked! Dolphin now looks like it should.
echo $QT_QPA_PLATFORM

...returns empty. Do you know which value it should have for this to work by default, or other ways of configuring it?
dach
Registered Member
Came upon this recently in Fedora 36. While exploring the appmenu-qt5 packages, I noticed another package:

appmenu-qt5-profile.d

which I went ahead and installed along with the other appmenu-qt5 packages. At some point after installing the above package my desktop began experiencing the issues described in this post. However due to this post I was able to figure out out. The above package sets the file:

/etc/profile.d/appmenu-qt5.sh

With the contents:
export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=appmenu-qt5

This package doesn't seem to be important to appmenu functionality so I removed it which solved the issue.

I just wanted to leave this post in case someone else comes across this issue.