This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Does changing to TTY pause processes?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pinguin74
Registered Member
OS
Hi there,

let´s say you have a make process running in Yakuake and KDE 5.12.8 and you switch to a TTY (CTRL+ALT+F1), can switching to the TTY pause the make process?

I had a strange thing tonight, I was building Linux kernel 5.1.4 and to turn the monitor black I simply switched to a TTY.

When I came back this morning, around 9 hours later, I noticed the kernel build still has not finished! Even with building thousands of modules, it does not take longer than 2 hours on my system.

And this brings me to my question, if switching to the TTY may have paused KDE processes like Yakuake and subsequent make process?

Thanks!
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
That is certainly not what I would have expected. Switching TTY should basically be equivalent to pulling open another tab in Konsole - it just opens another command prompt for you to use.
If the build output (logs?) provided timestamps for when certain things happened, you could review that to see where the time was spent.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.