This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How's Plasma on Clear Linux?

Tags: clear linux, questions, distro hopping clear linux, questions, distro hopping clear linux, questions, distro hopping
(comma "," separated)
YamiYukiSenpai
Registered Member
OS

How's Plasma on Clear Linux?

Tue May 28, 2019 4:16 pm
I'm thinking of switching my laptop from Kubuntu to Clear Linux (BTW, not totally ditching it since my gaming desktop is still on Kubuntu XD). To those who used/are using Plasma on Clear Linux, how is it? What version is Plasma in their repo?
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Re: How's Plasma on Clear Linux?

Thu May 30, 2019 7:35 pm
Distrowatch actually keeps track of what versions of various popular packages each version of each distro uses. You can review that toward the bottom of the distro's page. For example, Clear Linux's distrowatch page says the plasma-desktop version used is 5.15.0.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
dps
Registered Member
OS

Thu May 30, 2019 9:44 pm
This is an AWESOME question! I am wanting to switch to Clear Linux* also, and was hoping id be able to switch from the standard DE that it uses, to Plasma. If you happen to do it, please let me know how it went, because last night I tried to install Clear Linux* onto my laptop, and it wasnt done even after waking up this morning... but maybe that has to do with the extra packages I decided to "check" for install.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:29 pm
You can also just try it out in a VM (not exactly the same experience as Clear Linux relies on hardware optimization, but at least gives you an idea of what it'll take to get Plasma running on it)

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
Vov4ikpa
Registered Member

Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:46 am
Don't know about plasma on Clear Linux but the documentation on the Distro is unclear, the nvidia drivers install was painful, the install of the system was painful and the package manager is very limited.The only benefit you'll see is the smooth performance but at that stage of development i don't see it usable.
YamiYukiSenpai
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:02 pm
Vov4ikpa wrote:Don't know about plasma on Clear Linux but the documentation on the Distro is unclear, the nvidia drivers install was painful, the install of the system was painful and the package manager is very limited.The only benefit you'll see is the smooth performance but at that stage of development i don't see it usable.

Good thing my laptop doesn't have NVIDIA driver.