This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

need to disable/remove kcm_touchpad

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
gregorymartinez
Registered Member

need to disable/remove kcm_touchpad

Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:08 am
kcm_touchpad is not allowing me be change certain touchpad settings. But I can change them using either the xinput or synclient comandline utilities. But if I do, kcm_touchpad simply overrides them (unlike in other decktop environments). So, my only option is to either remove, or disable, kcm_touchpad. Unfortunately, kcm_touchpad comes with plasma 5, so I can't just delete a package. So, how can I remove, or disable, kcm_touchpad?

EDIT: I think I found a workaround. When I switched to using libinput (by linking the /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf) kcm_touchpad settings seem to have no effect (most of them are greyed out). With this, I could change the touchpad settings with xinput without kcm_touchpad overriding my settings. Although, I'll be nice if kcm_touchpad had comprehensive support for both synaptics and libinput drivers. ... But to be clear, I'm still interested in removing kcm_touchpad.

EDIT: After more investigating, there seems to be an issue with my touchpad's reporting of pressure and figure width -- as well as interaction with the i2c driver. With i2c_hid blacklisted, the kcm_touchpad options that where greyed out are no longer when using the synaptics driver. But, palm detection still doen't work -- I'm guessing it's an issue with the driver's finger width reporting.