This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

config files

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
lroggerone
Registered Member

config files

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:23 pm
Hi guys , i would like to ask you where are config files for the plasma enviroment.
Here are some of the things I would like to achieve:

Create an user account with follwing restrictions:
Only clock and volume visible in main bar.
User can not change anything
User can not logout or reboot system.
Only a few applications can be launched from desktop.
A keybord combination should launch terminal u other config menu.

Thanks for your advices.
Leandro
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Re: config files  Topic is solved

Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:59 pm
It sounds like you may be interested in KDE's Kiosk mode and tooling. More information can be found at https://userbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Adm ... troduction

As for where the config files and resources are stored, config files are saved in application-specific subdirectories of ~/.config, and additional per-user resources and data files are stored in ~/.local/share/

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
tuxkid
Registered Member

Re: config files

Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:09 am
airdrik wrote:
As for where the config files and resources are stored, config files are saved in application-specific subdirectories of ~/.config, and additional per-user resources and data files are stored in ~/.local/share/

I'm very interested to know which of those config files stores the dpi settings and how they relate to screen resolution. If that config file is not in that folder, where do I find it? I can't find anything that looks like it would do the job. Of course, if I could find some documentation that covers this topic I'd just have to rtfm.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Re: config files

Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:35 pm
Doing some searching for dpi in the config files, looks like ~/.config/kcmfonts has the main config entry, but I'm also seeing stuff in startupconfig* which looks like they try to set up (or reset) certain config settings on startup that you might want to look at.
I'm not entirely sure where the screen scaling factor is that is configurable through System Settings -> Display and Monitor -> Displays -> Scale Display. I do see something in those startupconfig* files which suggest ~/.config/kdeglobals -> KScreen -> ScreenScaleFactors.

As for how these features relate to actual screen resolution, I'm not entirely sure. At home where I'm using a TV for the monitor, I ended up fiddling with both the DPI and Scale settings to come up with something that looked reasonable.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
tuxkid
Registered Member
Quite simply, I'd inadvertently pressed
Code: Select all
Win+=
which zoomed my display. No need to edit any config files. I simply zoomed out --
Code: Select all
Win+-
combination. Sorry for the wild goose chase.