This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Laptop lid close options not working properly

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
albenson
Registered Member
I'm using KDE Neon User Edition 5.16.2 with Ubuntu kernel 5.0.0-17 on an Apollo Lake laptop. I have the power settings configured to sleep when the lid is closed while on battery (and to require password on resume) and to lock the session on AC. It usually works, but when I am using one older game in WINE, it completely ignores the closing of the lid on AC and does not lock the session, and on battery, it waits about 20 seconds before entering sleep, and when I resume, it doesn't prompt for the password, just picking up where it left off like nothing happened. This is a security risk... when I am out and about, I close the lid when I am done using it for the moment, and I need it to lock the session in case something happens and someone else gets ahold of it.

Strangely, if I enable the hardware acceleration setting in the game, the locking and sleep work fine, but the game is unusable with a massive loss in frame rate.

I have looked through the logs, and there's no obvious culprit in there. There's no process being blamed for failing to suspend... but I can see that some of the things it should be doing to suspend to RAM actually take place after it has resumed.

Anyone have any ideas how to work around this? If I could just get it to lock the screen before standby instead of trying to do it afterwards (which obviously is not working), that would mitigate most of it. SystemD wants to lock the screen before standby, apparently, but it is suppressed by Powerdevil, which only has a UI option to lock on resume. That doesn't seem like a good idea, and the reason is because of the possibility of the exact thing that is happening. There are too many problems with sleep and hibernate (a problem in Windows as well as Linux) to trust that detection of having exited a sleep state will be reliable enough to hang the security on that assumption. If there is a way to lock prior to sleep, that would be ideal.