This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Configuring the desktop part of the workspace.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
hugomaia
Registered Member
OS
I can't find the solution to this one, either my terms are wrong/incomplete or nobody ever though of it as an issue.

I've been using plasma 5 as my main desktop for 3 weeks now. Came from Windows 7 and the small stuff keeps grinding my gears.
Despite going over the settings for the desktop several times I can't find these options:
1 - Make the desktop require a double click to open applications. While there is an option for this when going to System Settings -> Workspace -> Desktop Behavior -> Workspace -> "Click behavior", the option currently only made a difference on Dolphin. Everything on the desktop opens with a dingle click.
2 - To move icons around on the desktop it requires a 5 second long left click. The option to configure this delay is nowhere to be found in the system settings.

My goal is to make the desktop behave more like an out-of-the-box windows desktop, that is:
1 - Left click once selects. (I'm fine with this doing absolutely nothing.)
2 - Double left click opens.
3 - Left click + mouse movement will drag the icon with zero delay needed, it only requires the mouse to have moved more than a set threshold.
I don't intend to make it a carbon copy of Windows' desktop, but I need to ease the transition.

Is this possible without having to edit the source code and recompile the whole thing?
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
For number 2, right click on the desktop, and go into Desktop Settings , or Folder View settings, then go to Tweaks, where you can disable the click-and-hold to move widgets (which is what the icons are).

On the double click, I do not know, as I do not keep application icons or files on my desktops, usually. There has been discussion on it in here fairly recently (or was that Redditt?) so if there is a solution (or not)

Actually, digging a little , I think it depends both on what type of desktop 'layout' you have. The default is the Folder View, I believe, which allows files and folders along with widgets to be placed on the desktop. You can see if you have this via a right-click on the desktop and go to the Configure Desktop option ad look at the Layout option.

if it is Folder View, if you drag an application to the desktop (instead of a right-click action on the menu item) and select either 'copy' or 'shortcut', the double click settings are used as it is an actual file in these cases. if you select "add icon', it is a launcher widget, and those are single click with no option to change as far as I see.

if your Layout is "Desktop", it will not work as you can't use files or folders there, only widgets.
Of course you can switch to Folder view in this case if you wish.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
raphaelra
Registered Member
OS
hugomaia wrote:1 - Make the desktop require a double click to open applications. While there is an option for this when going to System Settings -> Workspace -> Desktop Behavior -> Workspace -> "Click behavior", the option currently only made a difference on Dolphin. Everything on the desktop opens with a dingle click.

Try kcmshell5 mouse from terminal or KRunner.
hugomaia
Registered Member
OS
Thank you claydoh.
My layout was set to desktop.
It never stuck to me that folder view was what I was looking for.
It now behaves exactly as I need.