This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Installation errors in old PC.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
gaboz
Registered Member

Installation errors in old PC.

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:58 pm
Hi, I try install diferent distros (last stable releases) with KDE in a old PC but ever have errors like this (Neon screenshot) and the installation stops.

The PC specs are: Motherboard Msi MS-7253 K9VGM-V, CPU: Athlon X2 5200+, RAM: 2GB DDR2, GPU: Nvidia MX440 128mb and a 30GB SSD, then is possible use last KDE in this PC?, thanks.

Last edited by gaboz on Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS

Re: Instalation errors in old PC.

Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:48 pm
In my opinion, this 2006 era CPU will not have a good experience with Plasma, if you do find a way to install it. 2gb ram is minimal , but OK,. The dual core CPU will be slow , and may usable (until you open a web browser) but but the graphics (128mb) may be the bottleneck here.

How far did you get in the installation? How have other distros done? Arch, with a command line installer, will probably be more successful, as I think these specs may be less than the minimum for the Ubuntu installer Neon uses.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
gaboz
Registered Member

Re: Instalation errors in old PC.

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:19 pm
claydoh wrote:How far did you get in the installation? How have other distros done? Arch, with a command line installer, will probably be more successful, as I think these specs may be less than the minimum for the Ubuntu installer Neon uses.

Hi, this error occurs 3 mins after the start of the installation, then nothing is made, none installation dialog appear before error (in resume the error appear after de INSTALL order), I tried last stable Kubuntu, last stable KDE Neon, Debian 10.1 KDE and last stable Manjaro KDE, all suffer the same error but with diferent PID: XXXX number, The PC work fine with other desktops like XFCE or LXDE but i like more KDE.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS

Re: Installation errors in old PC.

Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:33 pm
Then it is very likely the graphics, as Plasma (and Gnome) make more use of the GPU than Xfce and Lxde, for sure.
You may look to see if there is a distro that is using a text-based installer, or a terminal based one. But Plasma probably is not going to be very useful on your system.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
gaboz
Registered Member

Re: Installation errors in old PC.

Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:08 pm
claydoh wrote:You may look to see if there is a distro that is using a text-based installer, or a terminal based one. But Plasma probably is not going to be very useful on your system.

Ok, I will be try a text-based installer, thanks.