This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

DE is very unstable

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Mantas
Registered Member

DE is very unstable

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:26 pm
Hello,

I've recently installed Neon and I've been really enjoying it. It hits everything I need, it's a clean install and easy to set up and start using.

But it's impossible to multitask on it. Installing a Steam game and watching Youtube freezes the system, multiple Writer windows and Twitch freeze the system. A game that's natively supported (Team Fortress 2) is a stuttery mess. Doing too many actions within the DE makes it freeze. Widgets are also crashing sometimes or are just unusable. The .deb package from minecraft.net bricked my system and I had to go through recovery (something about jdk 8 being broken).

I have a Ryzen 3 2200g, GTX 1060, 16gb of ram. Unfortunately it's currently running off of an HDD over an SSD, as mine recently broke. Outside of the recommended Nvidia drivers, it's a clean install with a bunch of extra software.

Am I missing something? Did I mess something up?

Cheers.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS

Re: DE is very unstable

Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:17 pm
Which driver version is it saying is the recommended one?
Nvidia drivers often need to be tweaked, or upgraded to a newer version via PPAs.
https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers ... ubuntu/ppa
and maybe this for better mesa drivers as well
https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dia ... untu/pkppa
But tweaking will most likely still be necessary

I do not know what specific tweaks would help, as I don't have an Nvidia card these days, partly due to the seemingly constant tweaking needed, but others here should have first-hand experience on what might work.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
Mantas
Registered Member

Re: DE is very unstable

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:21 pm
Oh, I thought I was on 435, which was the recommended driver. No matter what I do though, it keeps defaulting to the x.org open source whatever driver and if it doesn't roll back, then my system just freezes.

I'll try to give it a fresh install probably tomorrow and redo the drivers. I don't know why this is happening. It says it has applied the 435 nvidia ones, but it just rolls back...