This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

OSD for input language change.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
shaffaafahmed
Registered Member

OSD for input language change.

Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:10 am
When I change keyboard input language OSD doesnt display indicating the change. I find it difficult because my monitor is 32" and I have to look up to confirm.
Is it possible to display OSD for language change ?

Last edited by shaffaafahmed on Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfman
Registered Member
OS

Re: OSD for input language change.

Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:00 pm
Hi,

did you log out after changing the language?, language changes only take effect after logging out and logging back in again!. ;) Language changes do not work on the fly!. :)

Running Kubuntu on two computers (one dual boot and one as single OS), were it not for gaming; I would ditch Winblows completely!.
shaffaafahmed
Registered Member

Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:54 am
Yes, I have been using this system for over a year now. This has always bugged me.
Btw by language I mean keyboard input language.
Wolfman
Registered Member
OS

Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:50 am
Hi,

the keyboard can be changed on the fly by setting a shortcut in Settings > Input Devices > Keyboard > Layouts and set your shortcut keys there, the preset is "Ctrl + Alt + k" (Kubuntu Linux) but you can change that to whatever you want. :) You can also select "Show Flag" so you know it has changed!. :)

Make sure you have more than one KB layout set or it won't work!. o)

Running Kubuntu on two computers (one dual boot and one as single OS), were it not for gaming; I would ditch Winblows completely!.
shaffaafahmed
Registered Member

Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:51 am
@wolfman i dont think you quite understand what im saying here.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Changing the keyboard language does not affect the displayed system language, so no, you can not change the OSD language simply by changing the layout.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Wolfman
Registered Member
OS

Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:42 am
shaffaafahmed wrote:@wolfman i dont think you quite understand what im saying here.

Hi shaffaafahmed,

which do you want, the keyboard language to change or the system language?, you can change the KB on the fly but not the system language!.

Input language is the KB so I have already described the process but am not sure where your problem lies?. :-\

This may help you:

https://l10n.kde.org/ o)

dmitrokerest
Registered Member

Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:04 am
shaffaafahmed wrote:When I change keyboard input language OSD doesnt display indicating the change. I find it difficult because my monitor is 32" and I have to look up to confirm.
Is it possible to display OSD for language change ?

hi! I think I know what you mean and not sure is it is still relevant for you. but!
go to System settings -> shortcuts -> Global shortcuts -> keyboard layout switcher
https://i.imgur.com/7AYpozY.png

then set a shortcut of your will and apply. there you have it - on layout switching you will have an OSD indicating your kb layout
The Lucho
Registered Member

Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:54 am
Is it possible to display a message on the screen every time I press the shortcut to change my keyboard layout (or a notification)?

the thing is that my applet indicator for the keyboard is hide, and I do not want to grab the mouse to expose the taskbar to see in which layout I am in (I have 3 keyboard layouts)

I am not sure, but I remember in Ubuntu, the keyboard layout changes are displayed in the notification area.

@Wolfman @Mamarok @dmitrokerest
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:41 pm
Not AFAICT, there is no option to display a notification when changing the layout.

I suggest you name your layouts to appear in the System Tray. I see which keyboard layout I have at a glance with this. You can use either characters or flags or both.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
mro
Registered Member

Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:08 pm
hey @shaffaafahmed, same issue here
seems that OSD only works with Alternative shortcut

workaround is to use Alternative shortcut instead of Main shortcut to change keyboard layout
kal
Registered Member

Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:20 pm
mro wrote:hey @shaffaafahmed, same issue here
seems that OSD only works with Alternative shortcut

workaround is to use Alternative shortcut instead of Main shortcut to change keyboard layout

Thanks. This worked for me.