This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

I can not create new user without password in Kubuntu

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
tomi74
Registered Member
OS
Hi there,
I have tried to create a new user for my computer without password, but I could not log in with it, because the login screen writes „login failed”. I checked with command passwd the status of user lilla, and it writes NP which means „no password” if i not mistaken.
Code: Select all
lilla NP 10/17/2019 0 99999 7 -1
I checked passwd text file, too, and it also shows lilla has no password.
Code: Select all
tomi:x:1000:1000:Tomi,,,:/home/tomi:/bin/bash
lilla: :1001:1001:Lilla,,,:/home/lilla:/bin/bash

What should I do now to lilla can log in without password?
Thanks in advance.

Tomi

Operating System: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS
Kernel: Linux 5.0.0-31-generic
plasmashell 5.12.9
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
In System Settings you can set the logon screen (SDDM) to log in automatically without needing a password, so you can set the user password, log in to that user account, and set the login screen to be automatic. Then you might be able to set a blank password, maybe.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
tomi74
Registered Member
OS
Thanks the tip, but it does not work. I selected the new user for a auto-login, rebooted the computer, the new user was logged in. But when she loged out, and wanted to log in again, then it wrote out „login failed” again.

Last edited by tomi74 on Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfman
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

open Settings > Account Details > User Manager > Create New User and tick the box "Login in automatically" making sure it is the correct user showing!. DO NOT GIVE THE NEW USER ROOT PRIVILEGES!. (Enable administrator privileges for this user)

I don't think you can get around adding a password for any user as Linux is designed with security in mind!. :)

Running Kubuntu on two computers (one dual boot and one as single OS), were it not for gaming; I would ditch Winblows completely!.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
As mentioned by wolfman: every user needs a password, else the user is not valid. You can only choose to login automatically without entering the password, but a password needs to be created when creating a new user.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
tomi74 wrote:Thanks the tip, but it does not work. I selected the new user for a auto-login, rebooted the computer, the new user was logged in. But when she loged out, and wanted to log in again, then it wrote out „login failed” again.

Sorry, I see I did leave out making sure to give the account a password first. As mentioned, I don't think you can get around this easily, if at all in Linux, or at least with SDDM.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001