This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Is Kde themes are trusted or verified?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
richardben
Registered Member
Hello team,
There are plenty of cool themes, icons etc to customize the kde even more greatly. Thanks for that. So before installing any of these I tried viewing the developers account and when searched many doesn't have any online accounts like twitter or fb apart from GitHub and couldn't verify any of them are KDE devs . So I downloaded few things from kde/store and dissembled to figure out any suspicious things but didn't find any. Is there any verification process (CIA)from kde before its served to users either applications from Discover or like KDE themes,icons,widgets etc.

Thank you again.
xyquadrat
Registered Member
Hey, as far as I am aware there is no automatic or manual review process for the KDE store (see viewtopic.php?f=67&t=142828 - I'm not aware of any major changes since then.) That being said, themes themselves are only allowed to perform certain actions, which limits the attack surface for malicious developers. In general, use the same caution you do when downloading software from other 3rd-party sites and you should be fine.
richardben
Registered Member
xyquadrat wrote:Hey, as far as I am aware there is no automatic or manual review process for the KDE store (see viewtopic.php?f=67&t=142828 - I'm not aware of any major changes since then.) That being said, themes themselves are only allowed to perform certain actions, which limits the attack surface for malicious developers. In general, use the same caution you do when downloading software from other 3rd-party sites and you should be fine.

It seems like using as it as is the good option without any customization :). I don't even do [ pip install ] whatever, everything goes with with apt-get install or apt install. I got suspicious because of their active window control widget https://github.com/kotelnik/plasma-applet-active-
the developer states kde phabricator got the project and it is possible to install from plasma addon installer (widget install -> Active window control) but outdated in their kde/store though https://store.kde.org/p/998910
TheBeheader
Registered Member
never had an issue with any themes or cursors i've downloaded. as for the default them that plasma comes with one word YUK. actually reminds me of the poor choices microsoft made with theming.

Kubuntu 19.10 Kernel 5.3.24, KDE Plasma 5.17.3
nVidia 44.31 Driver, Asus 970 Gaming/Aura, AMD FX 6300, 16Gig DDR3,
Samsung 120Gig 850 EVO, AOC 29" Ultra Wide 2560x1080, nVidia 750Ti,
USB 3 Card, Drives 2TB, 1.5TB, 1TB