This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Chrome Apps Grouping Under Chrome Icon

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
guyuz
Registered Member
Hello,

This will be an almost identical copy-paste from a thread I created on reddit, but since I couldn't find help there I'm trying here. Thanks!

DISCLAIMER: I'm new to KDE (KDE Plasma 5.17.3) and Manjaro (Kernel Version 5.3.12-1-MANJARO), and I'm trying to recreate my usual Ubuntu/Windows setup. I'm aware this has been posted about a thousand times, but I haven't found a single answer that worked for me, and some weren't clear enough for me to execute, so apologies in advance.

I have two Chrome App shortcuts on my desktop (WhatsApp, Play Music), both with the "Open as Window" thing ticked. Both are pinned to my Task Manager (Icon-only) in the Meta+3 and Meta+4 positions.

However, once I open one of these apps, they appear under the highlighted chrome shortcut (Meta+1), instead of under their own highlighted shortcut. In practice this means that if I were to try to open WhatsApp, then alt+tab to a different window, and press Meta+3 to reopen the same WhatsApp window, what would happen instead is that it would open a new WhatsApp session. Then I would need to press Meta+1 and sift through all my open Chrome windows to find it.

I created these shortcuts by opening their respective websites in Chrome, and then using the 3-dotted menu at the top-right: More Tools->Create Shortcut...

Here are outputs from xprop:
    xprop on Chrome: WM_CLASS(STRING) = "google-chrome", "Google-chrome"
    xprop on WhatsApp: WM_CLASS(STRING) = "crx_hnpfjngllnobngcgfapefoaidbinmjnm", "Google-chrome"
    xprop on Google Music: WM_CLASS(STRING) = "crx_ioljlgoncmlkbcepmminebblkddfjofl", "Google-chrome"

Finally, here is an example of one of the .desktop files:
Here's an example of one of these .desktop files:
Code: Select all
#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Name=WhatsApp
Exec=/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome --profile-directory=Default --app-id=hnpfjngllnobngcgfapefoaidbinmjnm
Icon=chrome-hnpfjngllnobngcgfapefoaidbinmjnm-Default
StartupWMClass=crx_hnpfjngllnobngcgfapefoaidbinmjnm

Thanks!