This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Dark KDE theme badly applied

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Occhioverde03
Registered Member
OS

Dark KDE theme badly applied

Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:35 pm
Goodmorning everyone.
I recently installed Packet Tracer 7.3 on my PC with Manjaro and KDE Plasma, noting that it works almost perfectly.
I say almost because, as you can see from the screenshot, the dark theme that I installed in my workspace (Pear Dark) completely ruins the application's color palette and, to make matters worse, makes some writings practically invisible (Under the computer in the middle of the screen SHOULD be written "PC-PT PC0").

So I wonder: given that in Packet Tracer there is no option to disable the dark theme in-app, is there the possibility of overriding by imposing a light theme (Breath, for example)?
Thanks in advance for the help.

PS: I have already tried to start the software with the command
Code: Select all
QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=Breath /opt/packettracer/packettracer %f
or to right click on the title bar of the application and from there "Other actions > Configure specific settings for application > Title bar color scheme: Force Breath", but the result does not change
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Dark KDE theme badly applied

Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:44 pm
The theme you installed is not one we made, you need to report it's bugs to the author of it in https://store.kde.org

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Occhioverde03
Registered Member
OS

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:28 pm
Mamarok wrote:The theme you installed is not one we made, you need to report it's bugs to the author of it in https://store.kde.org

Yes I know.
In fact, I am not asking for support on the particular theme, but how to force the use of another theme in a specific application.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:57 pm
I don't think this is possible, the applications should use the installed active theme, if you want a different one, it will only work for all applications of this user.
So the only other option I see is to switch to a different user for a different theme and use that specific application there.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
claydoh
Registered Member
OS

Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:41 pm
Your screenshot shows the standard theme that Packet Tracer uses, so your selected theme is not being used by it at all.
The application uses its own Qt libraries, and may not support theming , other than what is available in the program's settings.

Assuming that you are using a global plasma theme, and not just the Pear Plasma style, there is also a Pear color theme installed that might be tweakable to fix the font coloring you are seeing.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
papdaniel
Registered Member

Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:59 pm
Hi!
I had the same issue. My solution is not too elegant, but works fine (change the kdeglobals with light colors, start the app and change it back):
1. Changed to the light Breeze color in Settings > Colors, and made a copy of the kdeglobals:
cp ~/.config/kdeglobals ~/.config/kdeglobals-light

2. Then changed back to the Breeze Dark in Settings

3. Made a startup script for Packet Tracer (note the sleep, we need to wait for packet tracer to start with the light color config)
#!/bin/bash

cp ~/.config/kdeglobals /tmp/kdeglobals-tmp
cp ~/.config/kdeglobals-light ~/.config/kdeglobals
/opt/pt/packettracer &
sleep 5
cp /tmp/kdeglobals-tmp ~/.config/kdeglobals
rm /tmp/kdeglobals-tmp