This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Mouse stops working for a couple of seconds

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
tonydix
Registered Member
Hi
At random intervals my mouse stops working and my pc appears to freeze.
It does it when launching opera, I also tried other web browsers, monitoring top the cpu usage rises. At other times no browser is running.
Looked at the logs but cannot see anything amiss. there are no rogue apps running either .
Any one any thoughts on where i should look ?
I am sure that this has only started happening in recent weeks and was not happening on the first install

Operating System: KDE neon 5.18
KDE Plasma Version: 5.18.1
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.67.0
Qt Version: 5.14.1
Kernel Version: 5.3.0-40-generic
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz
Memory: 3.7 GiB of RAM
jacobseated
Registered Member
This can be caused by many things, both hardware and software related. It's very hard to guess which.

My first guess is that it is caused by hardware acceleration, which may be triggered when opening a Browser, if enabled.

Another thing that comes to mind, and that has also caused such strange hiccups for me, is related to fonts. For example, UTF8 characters in a HTML title element would, for a long time, cause Google Chrome to freeze for several seconds. This now seems to have been fixed, but I would have to manually install fonts with the missing glyphs to fix it, and I am sure other font related issues still exists.

If no browser is running, it can also be caused by a failing battery in a wireless mouse. This has fooled me a few times, since I have almost become paranoid about these types of issues, instantly assuming something is wrong even when the slightest freeze occurs.

If this is your desktop computer, then I would simply try updating everything. Personally, I am always on the latest release of Kubuntu (now 19.10). I would also avoid manually trying to install KDE desktop environments, as I have had a lot of strange issues when doing this. That is, with the exception of Arch Linux, which worked quite well when installing manually.
tonydix
Registered Member
Hi
I looked at my loading with a couple of tools and noticed that I seemed to be running out of memory, tried various levels of swappiness, As I have an SSD I thought it would be fairly seamless. But that didn't make much difference.
I then recalled that when I used mint a couple of years ago someone recommended zram for low memory pc's. I have 3gb which I always thought was enough for linux. But since installing zram I haven't see the problem. Not sure now should I leave it with zram or upgrade to 8G ?