This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Problem changing Wallpaper-plasmashell spikes to 50% CPU

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
larrow
Registered Member
OS
I have an old Compaq desktop with a crummy Intel 82G33/G31 onboard GPU, and whenever I go to change the wallpaper, plasmashell spikes to 50% in CPU usage. I am not using any kind of slideshow. I've done all the tearing fixes for this particular GPU. Everything else works perfectly on this old clunker. :P

Is there a fix for this on low-end system that have this type of GPU for Plasma? Has anyone else experienced this when trying to change the wallpaper?

This is currently going on with 5.18.1.
sotnas
Registered Member
Hi there,

I have the same problem, since KDE 5.13 on Chakra Linux.

Initially I downgraded some of the packages and things were fine, until I forgot completely about that and those packages weren't in cache anymore.

It's not making the OS unusable but some functions are limited, like the wallpaper or theme change.
larrow
Registered Member
OS
sotnas wrote:Hi there,

I have the same problem, since KDE 5.13 on Chakra Linux.

Initially I downgraded some of the packages and things were fine, until I forgot completely about that and those packages weren't in cache anymore.

It's not making the OS unusable but some functions are limited, like the wallpaper or theme change.

Hey,

I just added an older dedicated video card (Nvidia GTX 650). Now all is well. Now I know older onboard Intel graphics controller may not be as smooth when attempting to changes wallpaper. But typically, onboard is garbage anyways. And now I am using that toaster as a TV PC for free streaming! KDE is nice and smooth for working as a TV PC; especially since there are fancy widgets. Who needs an Android TV box?