This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Best way to change the desktop icon spacing?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
photonfanatic
Registered Member
It seems things have changed since the thread I linked below. So I'd like to ask for some help with changing the icon spacing on the desktop. In the 2nd reply to that thread, there's an excellent little gif showing what I'm trying to do. For me, the icons just sit too far apart. Making it difficult for me to have as many icons there as I need. As a new user still trying to come over from Windows, this is very important to me.

So if this is the right place for it, I'd like to make a request to the KDE team to put in some means of easily adjusting the icon spacing on the desktop. If this is not the right place to make that request, please let me know. So does anyone know how exactly you change the spacing? It used to be that you had to go into a certain file located in usr and change a couple of different numbers in the code. Is it still that way? Perhaps there's an easier method that I'm unaware of?

viewtopic.php?f=289&t=136447
photonfanatic
Registered Member
Is this place really this dead?

Where are all the members? ???
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Feature requests are pretty useless in a forum mostly visited my users and support volunteers, those need to be filed to the actual teams working on things, and the easiest way is by filing a wish in https://bugs.kde.org

As for the silence: probably due to the request being in the wrong place, and/ or your relative impatience (9 days for a very specialized request the average volunteer can't act upon), and/or because the world right now is occupied with more pressing issues?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
photonfanatic
Registered Member
Sooo, what exactly would be the right place to post this thread?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Read again, I gave you the link :-)

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
photonfanatic
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:Read again, I gave you the link :-)

It looks like you only gave me the link for filing a bug report or a request. You said:

"As for the silence: probably due to the request being in the wrong place, and/ or your relative impatience"

So I'm asking which sub forum, specifically, should I have posted this thread in?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
well, you want to make a feature request, and these are done via the wishlist item in a bug report, not in the forum.