This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Issues with slow file indexing

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jzarecta
Registered Member
OS

Issues with slow file indexing

Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:07 am
I am using Plasma5 on a hybrid disk. I have around 150 GB on SSD and around 1 TB on HHD. I was able to map my user home to the HHD so I can use my storage for my files and the fast storage for my applications and other things on my system.

My issue right now is that even thought booting the computer or restarting my desktop is very quick as well as starting sometimes some applications other things are very slow when I am trying to let say, open my Pictures folder and has to display the thousands of files.

Doing some research it seems index is taken care by baloo, and even thought I understand that reading all those files should be a memory intesive process, I wonder if there is a way that it can read from the index and not have to go through the process every single time I want to open a file chooser.

Here is why I wonder if I can either, move the indexing temporary files on the SSD (which btw /tmp/ is on SSD) or configure my system so it can map those specific locations on the SSD mount points.

If there is any other suggestion I am all ears.
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS

Re: Issues with slow file indexing

Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:23 pm
Hi!

Baloo itself saves a per-user-indexing file in ~/.local/share/baloo. Dolphin, KRunner and some other applications like milou use the baloo-searching to display results.

The first indexing could take a lot of time (and ressources), so it could be interesting for you to have a look at
Code: Select all
balooctl status

My indexing file - for example - has about 7G of size and searching is pretty fast as I did indexing for some network shares too (to be able to search "offline").

Next step could be cleaning up your thumbnails and regenerate them after major changes to your picture-folders. And in general, not to have that much files in one folder and using subfolders instead. After some thousands of files it gets pretty slow to process all of them.

You may also think about disabling some Dolpin-stuff like previews, meta-tags,… to fasten things up.