This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Some icons in KDE Plasma panel systray are transparent

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
agentx
Registered Member
@student975, @shirokuma and I have posted about this issue on the Manjaro forums and other than one member no one seems to want to address the issue. Any help resolving this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

student975, post:1, topic:131571, full:true wrote:Hi! Last week or two have got the problem all not-KDE-native systray icons and few KDE's ones are... transparent (say, GoldenDict, Telegram, KMail, keyboard layout..). That is icons are not rendered but take place in system tray and are clickable. The issue is not 100% reproducible. Sometimes session relogging in helps, sometimes doesn't...

Have you ideas where to push and pull?

bogdancovaciu, post:2, topic:131571, full:true wrote:What desktop theme are you using aka Plasma Style ?

shirokuma, post:5, topic:131571, full:true wrote:I have the same problem. Using breath theme. It's pretty annoying if you have plenty of non-kde icons on the system tray.

To solve it temporarily I've been clearing the icon cache (~/.cache/icon-cache.kcache) and rebooting. Not sure if it solves anything but it's been consistent.

The only other post that I've seen with the same problem is: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=253271

Also Journald spits errors about the system tray consistently:

> plasmashell file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray/contents/ui/items/StatusNotifierItem.qml: ReferenceError: Icon is not defined

student975, post:6, topic:131571, full:true wrote:Have tried the trick with cache (yes, it does help sometimes):

* boot in terminal
* remove ~/.cache/*
* reboot

Unfortunately the trick hasn't helped. Logout/login (this time) has helped.

student975, post:3, topic:131571, full:true wrote:Breeze is in use. Nothing unusual.

AgentX, post:4, topic:131571 wrote:Same issue here with two systray icons being transparent. I'm running the same global theme, application styles, and Icons since before this behavior started.

Global theme - Gently
Application Style GTK2 / GTK3 - Aritim-Dark-GTK
Icons - GT3EX

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/alien-systr ... y/131571/6
agentx
Registered Member
agentx
Registered Member
No one wants to even try to address this problem?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
The problem is that I can't reproduce this here at all, so it might be specific to your distribution, in that case it needs to be solved by them.

Also from the bug report it seems to be specific to non-KDE applications, and I am not going to install those to test, as it is outside of my focus on KDE and Plasma support. Hint: the applications might just not use the System Tray correctly, so maybe not something we can solve on our side anyway.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
agentx
Registered Member
We both know that no matter what the program is in the systray it should be showing it's icon. The theme that seems to be causing the issue is "Gently" which is a KDE / Plasma theme. From the sound of the person who replied to the bug report we should only be running apps made KDE if we're running Plasma. No one is going to do that.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Nobody said you should only use KDE application, I just stated that I was not going to test with something not KDE .

FWIW, Gently is NOT a native Plasma Theme, you need to take this to its author.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
agentx
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:Nobody said you should only use KDE application, I just stated that I was not going to test with something not KDE .

FWIW, Gently is NOT a native Plasma Theme, you need to take this to its author.

Actually I had the icons in question just fine under Gently, since the theme itself has not changed and the underlying engine has it's a pretty safe bet that it's either a Plasma or Manjaro issue.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
sigh, you just said a post earlier the problem WAS with that theme...

agentx
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:sigh, you just said a post earlier the problem WAS with that theme...

SIGH, just went back through my post and I saud NOTHING of the kind. I was not having a problem with Gently until after 5.18.3 of Plasma. Like I said it could be a Plasma issue, a issue on how Manjaro handled porting for Manjaro, or some other Manjaro issue.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
agentx wrote:... The theme that seems to be causing the issue is "Gently" which is a KDE / Plasma theme...

agentx
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:
agentx wrote:... The theme that seems to be causing the issue is "Gently" which is a KDE / Plasma theme...

and then i backtracked on that, but you know that from my post AFTER that. nice try. now that said i just switched to breeze-noir dark an have the same issue.