This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Looking for advice: plasmashell not starting afer upgrade

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
encapsule
Registered Member
Good morning.

Firstly, I hope that all of you and your families are safe.

Second, I wanted to thank all of you who build KDE Plasma. Several years ago I adopted KDE as my primary development environment for code (work and projects) and it's the best. I particularly love the virtual desktop and cube features on my laptop. And, multimonitor support is really nice.

I write because I have performed a major update of my Debian (9 stretch to 10 buster) and in the process picked up new KDE Plasma that I'm having some trouble getting working correctly. It looks like a simple config problem. But, I'm too inexperienced at this level to know for sure.

Initially post-upgrade everything looked okay - I got back to my original plasma login essentially. But, when I logged in a got no further than a cursor and black screen.

I did some digging and followed advice to scrub local profile and restart but that didn't work. I did figure out eventually that I could SPACE-F2 and launch konsole.

And, then realized the plasmashell wasn't running. So, I executed:

`kstart5 plasmashell` at the command line and things spin up and appear to work. At this point I've reset back to default profile settings and haven't tried configuring any of the features I typically use. But,

Question I have is why didn't plasmashell start automatically and is there some simple what I can ensure that it does when I login?

Not sure that they are pertinent but have included version #'s and head of plasmashell log below.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Code: Select all
Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux 10
KDE Plasma Version: 5.14.5
Qt Version: 5.11.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.54.0
Kernel Version: 4.9.0-12-amd64
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz
Memory: 15.2 GiB of RAM

Not sure if the kactivitymanagerd error is related or separate issue.

Code: Select all
cdr @ holarchy ~ (master)
└─ $ ▶ kstart5 plasmashell
Omitting both --window and --windowclass arguments is not recommended
cdr @ holarchy ~ (master)
└─ $ ▶ Aborting shell load: The activity manager daemon (kactivitymanagerd) is not running.
If this Plasma has been installed into a custom prefix, verify that its D-Bus services dir is known to the system for the daemon to be activatable.
org.kde.plasmaquick: Applet preload policy set to 1
Could not create scene graph context for backend 'opengl' - check that plugins are installed correctly in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/ui/main.qml:62:28: Unable to assign [undefined] to int
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/ui/main.qml:53:27: Unable to assign [undefined] to int
kf5.kpackage: No metadata file in the package, expected it at: "/usr/share/desktop-base/futureprototype-theme/wallpaper/contents/images/"
kf5.kpackage: No metadata file in the package, expected it at: "/usr/share/desktop-base/futureprototype-theme/wallpaper/contents/images/"
trying to show an empty dialog
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/ui/main.qml:62:28: Unable to assign [undefined] to int
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/ui/main.qml:53:27: Unable to assign [undefined] to int
trying to show an empty dialog
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
Trying to use rootObject before initialization is completed, whilst using setInitializationDelayed. Forcing completion
Both point size and pixel size set. Using pixel size.
Both point size and pixel size set. Using pixel size.
encapsule
Registered Member
I fear this is not the correct place to post this question. But, cannot locate an obvious place for rookies.
encapsule
Registered Member
... I forced apt-get & dpkg to re-install everything as a blunt instrument and it seems now resolved.

For now, I think I'm okay via self-serve; this whole thread is likely not useful to anyone and can be deleted by admin.