This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Virtual Desktops not working properly on both X and Wayland

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ryuketsu
Registered Member
OS
This is an issue I am experiencing for some time and I couldn't find a solution or on where to report it. I'm not sure if it is a bug, as it happens on both X11 and Wayland, Plasma 5.18.3 and the git master. I have three virtual workspaces set up and I switch between them for several tasks. After one of the updates, only the second workspace, the one in the middle, is working properly. The first and third one are fully black on X11 and Wayland, with no plasmashell running. Launching KRunner through the keyboard shortcut on one of those workspaces also throw me back at the second one. I believe this is an issue with KWin itself but I don't know how to fix this issue.

Initially I had submitted a bug report when I was on a X11 session:
[bug]https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=419085[/bug]

But now I realized the same thing happens on Wayland as well for those versions of Plasma I tested, the 5.18.3 and git master.
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS
Hi!

In your bug-report you've mentioned a downgrade of plasma environment. Did you copy back your old configs? Programs can never be compatible to newer versions of config files, so you should use your old configs after downgrading.

Do you use activities or really just virtual desktops? Both is possible. Have a look at ~/.config/kwinrc. Virtual Desktops are called [Desktop] there.

Are all permissions correct in your homefolder? You can test this with
Code: Select all
find ~ ! -user $USER -ls

There should be no output.

Which video card and drivers do you use?

Did you try with a new created user to see if it is a systemwide problem or just an issue with your configuration?