This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

System Leave options either logout or do nothing

Tags: plasma5, sddm, linux plasma5, sddm, linux plasma5, sddm, linux
(comma "," separated)
segaloco
Registered Member
OS
Hey all, first post, scratching my head on an issue I'm having and wondered if anyone's seen the like before. I'll preface this with the fact that my current system is a bit of a Frankenstein's Monster built around the crumbling skeleton of what was once a Gentoo setup. I understand that makes my particular case hard to diagnose but I'm more in the interest of seeing if this has even been encountered, I'll still be actively investigating. I'll list pertinents after the meat:

I'm currently running a Linux setup with Plasma 5 sitting on top of SDDM. I've got dbus, elogind, and polkit bumping around. Where I'm at right now is that the items listed under System in the Leave options on my desktop are on the fritz. Reboot and Shut Down just take me back to the SDDM greeter, Hibernate and Sleep do nothing. Shutdown and Reboot *do*, however, work on the SDDM greeter. I haven't tried Sleep or Hibernate there yet, but intend to shortly after this post.

Now how we got here: This was a Gentoo setup at one point that I started maintaining myself. I've replaced most of their packages, and at various points along the way I had gunked up this very piece of Plasma. I'm actually nearing intended behavior from a point where I didn't even have the options. A rebuild of SDDM + swapping consolekit for elogind brought the buttons back, and results in where I'm at now. I suspect there is some issue with one of the above packages causing this, but I can't say for certain.

System: Kernel 5.6.2, glibc-2.31, dbus-1.13.12, polkit-0.112, elogind-243.7, sddm-0.18.1, most KDE libs 5.65.0, Plasma 5.15.5

If anyone does have a hunch but needs more info just let me know, tried to limit to the pieces I suspect are at play. I've tuned plenty of config files related to these pieces too so will gladly provide deltas to standard behavior if anyone thinks it pertinent.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!
segaloco
Registered Member
OS
And conundrum solved, can't believe I overlooked this:

In /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.login1.policy I needed to set the allow_any parameter of actions shutdown, reboot, suspend, and hibernate to yes. I feel like I've done this before but it may have been on consolekit many months ago. Hope this helps anyone else using Plasma+sddm+elogind+policykit.