This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Plasma problem

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
geob
Registered Member

Plasma problem

Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:31 am
When I open my laptop and open the launcher, usually I could search in the search bar but now, it stucks after the first letter.
I noticed in the output of htop that there is /usr/bin/plasmashell --shut-up. So when I do "killall plasmashell" and "kstart plasmashell" everything goes back to normal but I have to repeat it every time I open my laptop. Is there a way to permanently fix it?
I use Debian 9 (Stretch) and plasmashell 5.8.6.

The output of kstart plasmashell is
Code: Select all
kstart(2567) main: Omitting both --window and --windowclass arguments is not recommended
kstart(2567) Bridge::setRootObject: "KAccessibleBridge: setRootObject object=" "kstart (QApplication)"
kstart(2567) Bridge::Private::app: Connected with the org.kde.kaccessibleapp dbus-service
kstart(2567) Bridge::notifyAccessibilityUpdate: "ObjectDestroyed" "object=" " (QWidget)" "name=" ""

No metadata file in the package, expected it at: "/usr/share/desktop-base/joy-inksplat-theme/wallpaper/contents/images/"
No metadata file in the package, expected it at: "/usr/share/desktop-base/joy-inksplat-theme/wallpaper/contents/images/"
file:///usr/share/plasma/shells/org.kde.plasma.desktop/contents/views/Panel.qml:83: TypeError: Cannot read property 'Layout' of null
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.systemloadviewer/contents/ui/SystemLoadViewer.qml:79: TypeError: Cannot read property of null
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
file:///usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Button.qml:99: TypeError: Cannot read property of null
file:///usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Button.qml:99: TypeError: Cannot read property of null
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.digitalclock/contents/ui/main.qml:78:27: Unable to assign [undefined] to QStringList
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.digitalclock/contents/ui/main.qml:37: TypeError: Cannot read property 'DateTime' of undefined
Both point size and pixel size set. Using pixel size.
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.digitalclock/contents/ui/DigitalClock.qml:443:5: QML Text: Cannot anchor to a null item.
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.digitalclock/contents/ui/DigitalClock.qml:443:5: QML Text: Binding loop detected for property "height"
Plasma Shell startup completed
networkmanager-qt: void NetworkManager::NetworkManagerPrivate::propertiesChanged(const QVariantMap&) Unhandled property "AllDevices"
networkmanager-qt: void NetworkManager::NetworkManagerPrivate::propertiesChanged(const QVariantMap&) Unhandled property "Capabilities"
networkmanager-qt: void NetworkManager::NetworkManagerPrivate::propertiesChanged(const QVariantMap&) Unhandled property "Devices"
networkmanager-qt: void NetworkManager::NetworkManagerPrivate::propertiesChanged(const QVariantMap&) Unhandled property "GlobalDnsConfiguration"
networkmanager-qt: virtual void NetworkManager::DevicePrivate::propertyChanged(const QString&, const QVariant&) Unhandled property "LldpNeighbors"
networkmanager-qt: virtual void NetworkManager::DevicePrivate::propertyChanged(const QString&, const QVariant&) Unhandled property "Real"
networkmanager-qt: virtual void NetworkManager::DevicePrivate::propertyChanged(const QString&, const QVariant&) Unhandled property "LldpNeighbors"
networkmanager-qt: virtual void NetworkManager::DevicePrivate::propertyChanged(const QString&, const QVariant&) Unhandled property "Real"
networkmanager-qt: virtual void NetworkManager::DevicePrivate::propertyChanged(const QString&, const QVariant&) Unhandled property "S390Subchannels"
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.systemloadviewer/contents/ui/SystemLoadViewer.qml:247: TypeError: Cannot read property 'value' of undefined
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.systemloadviewer/contents/ui/SystemLoadViewer.qml:254: TypeError: Cannot read property 'value' of undefined
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.systemloadviewer/contents/ui/SystemLoadViewer.qml:247: TypeError: Cannot read property 'value' of undefined

libksysguard: Received UNKNOWN COMMAND for:  "acpi/Thermal_Zone/1-INT3400 Thermal/Temperature?"

Could not resolve property : radialGradient4857
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Plasma problem

Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:30 pm
This has been fixed quite some time ago, but you need a newer version for this. Any reason to stay on oldstable despite the release of Buster?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
geob
Registered Member

Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:11 pm
Well upgrading to Debian 10 is a big step that needs time in order to be done. Is there a way to tackle the problem for now?
geob
Registered Member

Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:41 am
If I upgrade to Plasma 5.12 is it gonna be fixed?
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:21 pm
I don't remember when this was fixed, to me this seems a long time ago, but I am many versions ahead of yours. Why is it such a big deal upgrading to stable from oldstable? I just upgraded my Kubuntu version to the next beta and while it takes a while it is pretty straightforward it seems.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
geob
Registered Member

Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:35 am
But since it is a KDE problem, how upgrading Debian, will solve the issue? Shouldn't I rather, upgrade KDE ? Thank you.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:01 am
for that your oldstable Debian would have to support a much newer Plasma, which I guess it doesn't...