This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Hide applications for Kickoff history tab

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sparhawk
Registered Member
OS
In the Kickoff launcher, the History tab has Applications on the top and Documents on the bottom. I never use Applications, so if I want to access the most recently-used document, I need to scroll or press down 12 times.

Is there a way to hide Applications? It looks like there used to be, but this setting seems to have disappeared. I also looked through /usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.kickoff, but there was nothing obvious there to hack.

I'm using an up-to-date Arch Linux, with Plasma 5.18.4.1.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Right click on the application launcher and edit it (or do so in System Settings), and drag the Item "Often used" to the Launcher (and remove the "History" entry if you want). This shows only Documents and Folders

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
sparhawk
Registered Member
OS
Thanks Mamarok! I totally missed that. However, is the "Often used" list derived from somewhere different to "History"? The items in it are all different, and include files that I haven't opened in months!
Mamarok
Manager
OS
it shows the most used documents and folders, which might be different to the most recently used.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
sparhawk
Registered Member
OS
Ah okay. I'd actually like the most recently used if possible, so if there's a way to restrict that tab to documents, that would be awesome.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
That only works in History I am afraid, and this will always also show the applications first.

sparhawk
Registered Member
OS
No worries. Hopefully someone can comment on hacking the source files. Cheers.
elibenyaacov
Registered Member
OS
Another thing you can do, is right click on the application menu button and choose "Show Alternatives", then choose "Application Menu" which has a simpler interface but will have the option to hide the recent applications.
sparhawk
Registered Member
OS
elibenyaacov wrote:Another thing you can do, is right click on the application menu button and choose "Show Alternatives", then choose "Application Menu" which has a simpler interface but will have the option to hide the recent applications.

Nice! I haven't tested that one for a while, but it's much better than I remember. I'll give that a bit of a try. Thank you!