This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Desktop settings get nuked on every startup

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sgrayban
Registered Member
OS
Unfortunately this is still not fixed in Plasma 5

Same issue as well still on Debian Buster and has been commented on via the original KDE bug list https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=356899#c25

Only the Desktop settings are not being saved. I have tried everything using chattr +i to setting chmod 400 and still cannot get the desktop settings to save.

And just to make sure it wasn't a issue using a old user account on my box I created a brand new account and on that account the same issue still happened. All settings are saved for everything BUT the desktop settings.

Selected wallpaper is not being saved nor is the icon layout in Desktop Layout (Folder View). Switched to desktop mode and that didn't save either and keeps reverting back to the default desktop layout.

Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux 10
KDE Plasma Version: 5.14.5
Qt Version: 5.11.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.54.0
Kernel Version: 5.3.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
OS Type: 64-bit

Bug also reported at https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=421498
Mamarok
Manager
OS
I can't reproduce any of that, are you sure you set the Desktop session to be saved?
System Settings -> Workspace -> Startup and Shutdown -> Desktop Session

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
sgrayban
Registered Member
OS
Yes... I never had problems before I updated debian from 9 to 10. Maybe something went wrong. I'll try setting it to a new session logout then login then switch it back to save session and see what happens.
sgrayban
Registered Member
OS
Mamarok wrote:I can't reproduce any of that, are you sure you set the Desktop session to be saved?
System Settings -> Workspace -> Startup and Shutdown -> Desktop Session

Nope not working at all. I also noticed you aren't using the same KDE versions I am using. This could be why... your version might be fixed whereas mine is still broken.

Everything saves except for the desktop layouts.

What is odd about this is that the desktop layout settings are saved in ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc but doesn't seem to be read at login.
jboero
Registered Member
I too have encountered this recently on a fresh install of Fedora 35 with an old box. Given none of my other systems have issues I would like to document the following differences which are suspect:

NVidia Optimus - dual GPU support is a struggle for SDDM which seems to struggle with session details even after disabling Wayland
BTRFS - my traditional upgraded systems still use EXT4 largely but BTRFS with zstd compression seems to be the default now.
Changed /home partition - I must admit after install I switched the HOME partition to a new EXT4 disk. I've synchronized all xattrs and SELINUX labels and have created a new user to be sure. Even disabling SELINUX into PERMISSIVE has no effect.
WiFi vs cabled - it should be no different but this box is on WiFi with NetworkManager at the user level rather than most of my other rigs which are cabled directly. No connection is available during SDDM until a login is present.

These are my outliers in my testing. If anybody experiences these issues with the above arrangements let me know. Occasionally SDDM leaves my secondary display blank but if I just type my default user's password, things come up just fine. Other cases where I've inserted xrandr in the sddm xsetup script and the display shows properly I get a completely wiped session each login. Not sure but this feels like an SDDM issue more than a KDE issue oddly.