This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Huge icons

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Spearhead1983
Registered Member

Huge icons

Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:20 pm
Hey there,

I recently installed Kubuntu 20.04 and I had to discover that the icons on the panel/task manager are very huge, way out of proportion, as well as the whole login screen and the tools icons in Gimp.

Screenshot

Screenshot Don't know how to take screenshots from the login screen...

Screenshot

At first the fonts were hugely scaled too but I already found out that this was an issue with nvidia-drivers and was solved by forcing the fonts dpi to 96.

Regarding the icons I couldn't find a solution neither in the system settings nor by searching online.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Huge icons

Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:37 am
Those icons are only huge because you use a rather high panel, and only one line in the Task Manager widget with this.

2 solutions:
* either reduce the panel height, or
* use 2 lines in the Task Manager (right click on it to edit it)

As for the login screen: is this the default SDDM login?

I can't talk for Gimp, maybe check if you have the GTK themes adapted correctly in the System Settings

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Spearhead1983
Registered Member

Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:16 pm
Mamarok wrote:Those icons are only huge because you use a rather high panel, and only one line in the Task Manager widget with this.

2 solutions:
* either reduce the panel height, or
* use 2 lines in the Task Manager (right click on it to edit it)

As for the login screen: is this the default SDDM login?

I can't talk for Gimp, maybe check if you have the GTK themes adapted correctly in the System Settings

Changing the height solved it for the panel although it was already set to 2 lines. Now the colors need correct scaling as they still are as thick as with the big icons before.

The login screen is the default which came with Kubuntu, didn't change anything.

Maybe I should mention that I'm on a nvidia graphics card and using the proprietary driver version 440.
Spearhead1983
Registered Member

Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:00 am
Quick update: Found an option in Gimp under Tools -> Preferences -> Icons which tells it to scale the icons according to the theme in use.

Regarding the login screen(SDDM) I'm not any further.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:22 pm
For the SDDM login screen, the only thing I can think of is to change the theme in System Settings -> Workspace -> Startup and Shutdown -> Login Screen

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...