This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE Activity Panel Does Not Auto-hide After Switch

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
manas
Registered Member
Code: Select all
KDE Plasma Version: 5.19.0
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.70.0
Qt Version: 5.15.0
Kernel Version: 5.6.15-zen2-1-zen
OS Type: 64-bit

- Steps to Reproduce
  1. Enable multiple activities (I have 3)
  2. Switch to a different activity using the super+tab keyboard shortcut, do not release shortcut until activity switcher panel is shown on the left
  3. Release shortcut

- Expected Behavior

1. Activity panel will auto-hide after shortcut key has been released, with a short delay

- Actual Behavior

1. Activity panel does not auto-hide, remains visible until Activities option is selected after a right-click on the desktop

Edit: Workaround
When activity panel on the left does not auto-hide, press and release the shortcut quickly -- the panel only shows when the shortcut is kept press for a certain duration.
squatched
Registered Member
OS
My muscle memory for switching activities is killing me in the presence of this bug :D.

KDE Plasma Version: 5.19.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.72.0
Qt Version: 5.15.0
Kernel Version: 5.7.7-arch1-1
sgtnasty
Registered Member
OS
I have the same issue on Arch:

Operating System: Arch Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.19.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.73.0
Qt Version: 5.15.1
Kernel Version: 5.8.8-arch1-1
Processors: 32 × Intel® Core™ i9-7960X CPU @ 2.80GHz
Memory: 31.0 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

Apparently this issue has been around for a long time, but I see no replies that address it or fix it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kde+make+activity+switcher+go+awat&oq=kde+make+activity+switcher+go+away
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Did anyone of you reported this as a bug on https://bugs.kde.org?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
cynewave
Registered Member
I hope this helps everyone, but I think this may be a 'problematically implemented feature'. After playing around with the the hotkeys I discovered that if I press and hold the meta-key (i.e. Windows key) , followed by hitting the tab key, the activity panel appears and stays up until I hit the meta-key followed by Q. However, If I 'quickly' hit the meta-key (i.e. Windows key) , followed by hitting the tab key and then 'quickly' release the meta-key, the activity panel auto hides. If you release the meta-key within a second of hitting the tab key, the activity panel will auto hide. If you hold the key any longer it will stay sticky. I can reproduce this behavior consistently on multiple devices.

I suspect the intent of the developer(s) was to have the activity panel stay sticky while the meta-key was pressed to allow you to tab through the list, but the implementation makes it difficult to use. Hopefully they can revisit the way the stickiness works but in the meantime learning the art of how to press the keys may be a good work around.