This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

One-click shutdown

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
DeMus
Registered Member

One-click shutdown

Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:44 am
Hi all,
I have had the Lock/Logout widget in my lower taskbar since years. When I click it the computer shuts down, without asking any question about what I want to do: Leave, or lock, reboot or anything and certainly not: are you sure.
This has worked for many years in several distro's, including Tumbleweed which I use now.
Since a few weeks I need to confirm I want to shutdown. When I click the applet I see either, depending on a KDE system setting, 3 or 5 choices of which Shutdown is pre-selected. It will countdown from 30 seconds to zero before it actually does that.
Did something change in that part of KDE, or could it be a setting which changed? The only one I can find is in the KDE system settings Startup and Shutdown > Desktop Session > General.
I would love to have my one-click shutdown again, makes life so much nicer.
lvm
Registered Member

Re: One-click shutdown

Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:58 pm
You can make your own shutdown script which won't ask any questions.

Code: Select all
qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMServer org.kde.KSMServerInterface.saveCurrentSessionAs "saved at previous logout"
shutdown -P now

The first line is only necessary if you want to save the current session.
DeMus
Registered Member

Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:29 pm
lvm wrote:You can make your own shutdown script which won't ask any questions.

Code: Select all
qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMServer org.kde.KSMServerInterface.saveCurrentSessionAs "saved at previous logout"
shutdown -P now

The first line is only necessary if you want to save the current session.

Thank you for answering, but it is not the answer to my question.
I had something working for years and now it doesn't work anymore. Is it because something changed inside KDE Plasma, or do I have a setting which has the wrong value?
I wrote one setting I know has got to do with it, but although it changes something during the shutdown proces (3 or 5 choices: shutdown, restart, logout, etc) but I still get these choices which I never had before. It used to be clicking the button and the PC was dead. Why isn't it doing that now?
lvm
Registered Member

Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:07 pm
As I understand, you question was to have one-click shutdown back, and it answers it exactly: create a script, put it on a menu, desktop, favourites or wherever you like, click on it and it will shut down you system immediately and without asking. However settings for the standard shutdown dialogue can be found in settings-workspace-startup and shutdown-desktop session
jonzn4suse
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:22 am
DeMus wrote:Hi all,
I have had the Lock/Logout widget in my lower taskbar since years. When I click it the computer shuts down, without asking any question about what I want to do: Leave, or lock, reboot or anything and certainly not: are you sure.
This has worked for many years in several distro's, including Tumbleweed which I use now.
Since a few weeks I need to confirm I want to shutdown. When I click the applet I see either, depending on a KDE system setting, 3 or 5 choices of which Shutdown is pre-selected. It will countdown from 30 seconds to zero before it actually does that.
Did something change in that part of KDE, or could it be a setting which changed? The only one I can find is in the KDE system settings Startup and Shutdown > Desktop Session > General.
I would love to have my one-click shutdown again, makes life so much nicer.

I'm also on Tumbleweed and have the applet on the right side of the taskbar. When I click the power button nothing happens, but the lock works :(
Let me get on my other laptop running 15.2RC and see what happens.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:41 pm
You probably need to set the options in System Settings >>Startup and Shutdown >> Desktop Session >> Default Leave Option and switch it to "turn off computer'

You may need to disable the 'confirm logout' and 'offer shutdown options'
I am testing as soon as I submit this.

This may be in a slightly different location, depending on the Plasma version.

As to how your settings changed, I do not know. This is a user level setting, so an upgrade likely did not change this.
The default logout/shutdown options have not changed in ages afaik. I wonder if the widget perhaps has changed? the current one just follows the systems settings, and I don't see an alternative widget on the KDE store.

The current lock/logout widget does not have an option in its setting to even have a 'shutdown' option, so maybe this is an issue?
Even setting option in System Settings, the widget cannot shut down or restart at all.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
jonzn4suse
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:37 am
The one click shutdown works fine in 15.2 and I have the same options set in Tumbleweed, but no joy.

Operating System: openSUSE Leap 15.2
KDE Plasma Version: 5.18.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.71.0
Qt Version: 5.12.7
Kernel Version: 5.3.18-lp152.19-default
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-3740QM CPU @ 2.70GHz
Memory: 15.6 GiB of RAM