This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Memory Leak or other Memory related issue

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
raydude108
Registered Member
Hello,

I'm running Gentoo and kde-frameworks/plasma-5.70.1.

I'm also running on a three year old HP laptop that has 32 GB of memory and a GTX1060 Mobile GPU and I'm running dual 4K displays.

I also use CAD programs extensively. Specifically Quartus from Altera / intel and intel's Model Sim tool.

I run a Windows VM because Orcad does not support linux.

I have four virtual desktops because I need them.

Upon boot, everything works perfectly well. kwin is the big hog, taking 13.9% of memory, X about 4% and plasma about 1.6% (which is less than the web browsers).

But after running for a week, the numbers change a lot. Even if I kill all my X applications to try and free memory, the numbers stay way up. Even to the extent that swap space is being used. At this point Chrome and Firefox freak out and tabs randomly crash when I scroll. I have found no error messages anywhere. I probably need to turn on debugging in the browser or something.

I don't have numbers now as I just rebooted yesterday to see if I could shrink plasma's footprint (I attempted to choose a lighter theme for example and I eliminated the animated Earthlights backgrounds, turning off effects, etc.)

I'm hoping someone can walk me through a debugging method so we can fix it permanently.

I suspect my setup is fairly unique and I figure that's why I'm having problems.

Does anyone have the time an inclination to help me with this? I really love my setup, but having to reboot once a week feels too much like WinDos.

Update: I just found the numbers from before the last reboot. plasmashell was using over 15GB.