This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Launcher loses configuration when switched

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
stormrainbow
Registered Member
In KDE 4, I can switch between the "Application Launcher Style" and the "Classic Menu". I normally use the "Classic Menu", but switch to check some things under the "Application Launcher Style" --- more for testing than anything. The important thing is, when I switch, I don't lose my "Classic Menu" configuration. :-)

In KDE 5/Plasma, this is NOT true. I normally use "Application Menu", but I will switch to "Application Launcher". When I make the switch back, all my configuration options are lost. :-( I have to remove apps like firefox from my favorites (I have it some place else) and right-click and change settings.

In addition, I checked the kactivitymanagerd database table ResourceLink and there are entries like kontact.desktop, ktp-contactlist.desktop, org.kde.discover, org.kde.discover.desktop. :-(

I do not have discover installed and I do not have any of KDE's PIMs installed.

Through a lot of searches, I was directed to the file ~/.local/share/kactivitymanagerd/resources.
There are 38 lines with "...favorites.instance..". Some are in the form:

[Favorites-org.kde.plasma.kicker.favorites.instance.number-global]
[Favorites-org.kde.plasma.kicker.favorites.instance.number-number]
[Favorites-org.kde.plasma.kickoff.favorites.instance.number-global]
[Favorites-org.kde.plasma.kickoff.favorites.instance.number-number]

Every time I make the switch, and re-do my configuration, I get another kickoff (launcher) or kicker (menu) entry.

Does anyone know what is going on with any of this?

Do you think this is a bug and should be reported?