This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Plasma freezing

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
afsalmcqueen
Registered Member

Plasma freezing

Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:44 am
I'm on Opensuse Tumbleweed and i experienced occasional freezing issue in plasma .
And it's almost gone after removing package xf86-video-intel .
similiar bug found herehttps://bugs.archlinux.org/task/14594
from Arch wiki :
some distros recommend not installing the xf86-video-intel driver, and instead falling back on the modesetting driver for Gen4 and newer GPUs (GMA 3000 from 2006 and newer)
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Plasma freezing

Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:44 pm
Oh my, where do I start...
The link you refer to is over 10 years old, so in all likelihood totally irrelevant in 2020
I split your topic away from the other thread which was also about 4 years old, again irrelevant as you are running Tumbleweed, and reviving old threads is usually a very bad idea: software changes at a much faster speed nowadays, referring to everything older than a few months is probably not relevant anymore.

Also: you do not experience crashes, and your freezes are irrelevant to Intel graphic drivers, those are more likely due to some desktop effect or to a lack of space in your home folder, mentioning just the two most likely causes of freezes.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
dwaszuk
Registered Member

Mon May 17, 2021 4:07 am
Hi, my name is David and I'm facing the same problem. Sometimes my desktop freezes and there's nothing I can do, except manually powering-off my laptop, and restarting it again.

I'm running:
Opensuse Tumbleweed 20210514
KDE Plasma Version: 5.21.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.82.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.12.3-1-default

Breeze Dark as Global Theme with no Desktop special effects. I have 150 GB space left on my disk, and SMART Status says "The device appears to be working as expected"

Is there any other information/log I can give you? Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Mon May 17, 2021 11:28 am
You have no desktop effects active at all? Those are usually activated by default.
How much RAM do you have, how much SWAP space?
Which graphic card, which driver?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
dwaszuk
Registered Member

Mon May 17, 2021 7:56 pm
Hi, thanks for answering.

No, it freezes completely. Something that didn't happen before. I've been using Tumbleweed for more than 1 year.

I have a Lenovo ideapad 720S-14IKB, i5-7200 with 8GB ram. Swap is a partition (same disk) 4GB.

As for the graphic cards:

Code: Select all
# inxi -G -c0
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 620 driver: i915 v: kernel
           Device-2: NVIDIA GM108M [GeForce 940MX] driver: nvidia v: 460.80
           Device-3: Acer EasyCamera type: USB driver: uvcvideo
           Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: modesetting,nvidia resolution: <missing: xdpyinfo>
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 21.1.0

I'm not using NVIDIA at all. Just Intel.

Regards,
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Plasma freezing  Topic is solved

Mon May 17, 2021 9:40 pm
I doubt it will help, but: your SWAP space is too small, you need at least double the size of RAM for all RAM below 32 GB

Please create a new user and see if the freeze happens there as well. If not this points to some userspace configuration causing the freeze

Of course if the freeze also happens with the new user, then you have either a hardware problem, or your installation is faulty.

dwaszuk
Registered Member

Tue May 18, 2021 10:55 pm
Just in case, it started happening after 5.21 plasma upgrade.

But I'll try the options you're pointing. Thanks for your help!

Regards,
David
dwaszuk
Registered Member

Mon May 24, 2021 3:50 am
Well, I've changed the size of swap as you've recommended, and have been working flawlessly since then.
I really appreciate all your time and help. Thank you!!

btw, how can I mark this post as solved? Sorry for my ignorance.

Regards,
David