This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

"Power Down" vs "Power Off" in Global Shortcuts

Tags: bug, system settings, shortcuts bug, system settings, shortcuts bug, system settings, shortcuts
(comma "," separated)
nytrm
Registered Member
Hi there,

I'm returning to KDE (Manjaro) after a long time and I'd like to set a keyboard shortcut for shutting down the PC.
In the System Setting (Shortcuts -> Global Shortcuts -> Power Management) I've found "Power Down" and "Power Off". What is the difference and which one should I use? I'm looking for an equivalent shortcut option for the normal "Shut Down" button present in KDE menus.

Thanks in advance

UI-Language: english_US
Plasma Version: 5.19.4
Framework Version: 5.73.0
Kernel: 5.7.15
X.Org: 1.20.8

P.S. I've googled a lot, but only could find explanations about the differences between shutdown, poweroff, halt, etc.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
First of all, my Plasma version is older, but I find it rather peculiar that there would be a "Power Down" option, in 5.18.5 I see only "Power Off", it makes no sense to have the other and can't imagine what could be different. What exactly is the actual Shortcut of "Power Down"?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
ognarb
Registered Member
OS
I can confirm that I see Power Down and Power Off on plasma 5.19. This was maybe caused by the recent update of the shortcut kcm.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
sounds like a bug to me, please report this to https://bugs.kde.org be it only for a consistent wording, "Power Down" is probably wrong.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
nytrm
Registered Member
Thanks for the answers!

As it seems that "Power Down" has not been present in e.g. 5.18.5
Mamarok wrote: [...] in 5.18.5 I see only "Power Off"[...]

and
that "Power Down" seems to have no function behind it (When you actually set a shortcut and activate it, nothing will happen in contrast to "Power Off".),
I consider the appearance of "Power Down" to be a bug.
-> see: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=425915

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have an additional kinda related question, if you don't mind:
As the shortcut "Power Off" does not really fulfil my needs because of little strange (buggy?) behaviour (see below, if interested), I discovered the global shortcut "Halt without confirmation" (Shortcuts -> Global Shortcuts -> Session Management). Activating this shortcut shuts the PC immediately down, in a way like I wish.
But does this "Halt" shortcut properly shutdown the system? Where or how can I find the commands/scripts/etc., which are behind these shortcuts and are executed when the shortcut is activated?

If interested, the annoying behaviour of "Power Off" shortcut, I have experienced:
1. No matter whether you set yes or no for "Confirm logout" (Startup and Shutdown -> Destop Session -> General), when using the "Power Off"-shortcut, the confirmation shutdown/logout/suspend/etc. prompt will always appear. This happens with some other session shortcuts, too, like logout.
2. Although I use the shortcut "Power Off", in the following shutdown/logout/suspend/etc. prompt "Logout" is preselected, NOT "Shutdown"! (Bug?)
3. The highlighting of the selected item in the shutdown/logout/suspend/etc. prompt is only shown on my secondary screen. The highlighting on primary only works when hovering with the mouse over it, no chance with keyboard. On secondary, it works like I would expect it.