This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Should I use Plasma or Neon? Will it honor existing GRUB?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
silocoder
Registered Member
Hi, I am using Linuxmint and Cinnamon. I downloaded the live version of KDE Neon (booted from USB) and I'm pretty impressed. Would like to give it a go.

I am a developer but don't necessarily want nightly software installed. Just a stable environment.

Should I install Neon or Plasma? When I install it on my laptop I already have a grub menu with Linuxmint, Windows, Ubuntu. I am planning to make some space on one of the drives.

So my question is will the installation honor and append to the existing GRUB / Boot partition?

thanks
robgriff444
Registered Member
OS
Neon or Plasma? Neon is Plasma. Your choices are User, Testing or Unstable. But my advice is none of them: Neon is not a distro (ie it only installs a basic ubuntu and plasma, it is not user friendly).

It is a KDE work / development environment and you may have problems detecting devices (especially on a laptop) and you will have problems configuring it and installing SW. It is troublesome to set up your way even if you are well versed in Linux. If you like KDE, try Kubuntu.

As far as grub goes, you can install grub into a boot partition already there (and as Neon uses ubuntu's grub it should play well) but you could also install with no boot and run update-grub from the current Linux that starts grub and it will find your new install, that's probably safer.

Lastly, don't mix Arch grubs (eg Manjaro) and ubuntu grubs, they mostly don't play together.

Neon Unstable, AMD RX570, Steam (skyrim for now), Vivaldi, btrfs (with apt-btrfs-snapshot), bug-reporter
silocoder
Registered Member
Thanks that worked!. I used grub-mkconfig. Though I don't understand why my grub.cnf has multiple entries of ubuntu in a submenu.

So I just picked the first one to boot from.