This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

context menu blocks window navigation

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
lvm
Registered Member
When right-click context menu is opened in almost any program - kate, libreoffice, vlc, it blocks window navigation: alt-tab window switching doesn't work, panel won't unhide with mouse hover, etc. I know of only one well-behaved program where context menu doesn't interfere: firefox. Is there a way around this issue? Plasma 5.12.9, frameworks 5.44.0, Qt 5.9.5
Mamarok
Manager
OS
I don't see the point of having context menus open while switching windows. What happens with Firefox is that it simply closes the context menu when doing this. So why keeping those open in other applications?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
lvm
Registered Member
Actually it might be useful e.g. if you want to consult a manual in another window, but that's not my point at all. Any program can block window switching - if there is no way around it, it is a nasty bug.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Please file a bug, then: https://bugs.kde.org

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
knapps
Registered Member
Just to support 'fixing' this... seems reasonable that application context menus should not block higher-level functions like task switching. In my case it's not that I deliberately want to keep the context menu open - but apparently I regularly switch apps mid-way with context menus open(!) and it's frustrating when the desktop says no (ex-Windows user where this doesn't happen).

Thansk to OP for raising the issue and Mamarok for advise on bug report.