This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to prevent plasma from remembering window location ?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
nmset
Registered Member
OS
Since latest upgrade on Arch Linux, every time I start a KDE app, say kwrite, the new window has the same size and position at last closure. A second instance of kwrite will be of same size and position, completely covering the previous window. Usually, a second windows shows with either an offset, or according to an intelligent placement on the desktop. I could not find an option to enable/disable this. Can someone point me to an effective solution ? Thanks.

Plasma version : 5.19.5
Frameworks version : 5.74.0
Qt version : 5.15.1
robgriff444
Registered Member
OS
Nate Graham added the remember window position as standard and then IIRC a week later said he had added that this could be disabled but I don't remember when - have a look at his blogs (This Week in KDE) to see when the feature to disable 'remember all' will be added.

Anyway, it's already on my Neon Unstable, in System Settings>Window Management>Window Behaviour, Advanced tab. You could try other options in there to see if any suit you better for now.

Neon Unstable, AMD RX570, Steam (skyrim for now), Vivaldi, btrfs (with apt-btrfs-snapshot), bug-reporter
kde-nmset
Registered Member
OK, I'll just wait for the next iteration, thanks.
alisamii
Registered Member
I am on KDE Neon with:

KDE Plasma Version: 5.19.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.74.0
Qt Version: 5.15.0

And I have noticed this same issue. Basically, even when I change Window Management > Window Behavior > Advanced > Window Placement to Centered, windows still open in their last position and size. This behavior also overrides Window Management > Window Behavior > Focus > Mutiscreen behavior, in a way that I open Konsole from Diaplay1, but it opens in Display2, because last time, it was closed in Display2.
kpetrie
Registered Member
I also have this problem. What a daft idea! When I open a new window it's because I want a second view, so of course I want the new window away from the current ones. Why would anyone want a new window on top of an existing one? That's what tabs are for. I'm using Plasma 5.19.5 and I set Minimal Overlapping because that's what I want. If that's what I want, how dare devs force something else? They're getting too big for their boots.

This is a bit of a deal-breaker for me as I have to fight with the DE instead of having it working with me. Does anyone know where we can choose the window placement we want?

I might have to use a different DE if this sort of nonsense continues. KDE used to be good, but it's getting more and more rubbishy with every new version.
alisamii
Registered Member
This bug is still not resolved in 5.20.1. Basically the settings under Windows Behavior tab are all disregarded by the window manager. New windows (such as Dolphin and Konsole) are all opened in the location that were last closed :(
xyzzy
Registered Member
There is a bug about this, https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=426725

Adding "AllowKDEAppsToRememberWindowPositions=false" to the General section of .config/kdeglobals appears to fix it.

There is still nothing in the window behavior tab to indicate the settings there will be totally ignored. I guess this horrible thing is what MS Windows does so they made it the default with no easy way to turn off. The last position of the window was based on what was on the screen the last time that window was open. That has nothing to do with what is on the screen now. So why would I want new window to appear at what is effectively a totally random location and screen based on a screen layout from some time in the past that no longer exists? Might as well make the position random.