This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Plasma is not starting automatically after updates

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
goldenfig
Registered Member
Hi everyone,
I did some updates recently, but I couldn't update all applications because I got a message saying that an error occurred when KDE tried to download the update. So I only did those updates that were available. When I started the computer the next day, the screen remained black until I pressed Ctrl + Alt + F2 and logged into the shell. Then I entered
Code: Select all
startx
. Plasma started but was extremely slow and I could not connect to any wifi. Is there anything I can do except for reinstalling KDE?
robgriff444
Registered Member
OS
You can boot from install media and from a live environment, chroot into your computer and run the updates again.

Here's a post on how to: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1238355 ... on-upgrade

Note that they instruct the use of dpkg, but you should use $ pkcon refresh && pkcon update.

Neon Unstable, AMD RX570, Steam (skyrim for now), Vivaldi, btrfs (with apt-btrfs-snapshot), bug-reporter
Mamarok
Manager
OS
robgriff444 wrote:Note that they instruct the use of dpkg, but you should use $ pkcon refresh && pkcon update.

That totally depends on the distribution they are using, pkcon is rather specific to Neon. SInce the OP didn't state either distribution or Plasma version this should be taken with a grain of salt...

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
goldenfig
Registered Member
Thank you for your answers. Unfortunately, I'm currently not at home for a few weeks. From now on I will always pack my Boot USB when travelling.
However I found a solution that allows me to use the computer. I simply booted into an old kernel following this post https://askubuntu.com/a/1097697
It's working for now but I will try your suggestions once I get home to make my computer run with the newest kernel