This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Dolphin and Konsole opening Maximized instead of windowed

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
agentx
Registered Member
Are other KDE Plasma users experiencing the same issue of Konsole and Dolphin opening maximized only.

My roommate is running Manjaro Plasma and the day before yesterday I noticed that Dolphin will not open windowed. This morning I tried EVERYTHING I could think of to get it to behave and I had to finally give up. Today a member on the EndeavourOS forums is having the same issue but with Konsole. I'm thinking our two issue may be related. Please any and all suggestions at this point to fix the issue or issues would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

https://forum.endeavouros.com/t/konsole ... mized/8287

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=426813
agentx
Registered Member
Expected some response as far as suggestions as to what might be causing this issue by now.
blue_bullet
Registered Member
OS
agentx wrote:Expected some response as far as suggestions as to what might be causing this issue by now.

I have not had that experience though occasionally Dolphin will open smaller than I left it and in a different position than I left it.
I have both Dolphin and Konsole set to remember postion, size, and desktop thru Window Rules in System Settings. I simply resize the window and press on. I don't know what causes it, and I cannot replicate it so haven't reported it. I used to have similar experiences with cars taken to the dealership. :D

If you haven't already you might try System Settings>Window Management>Window Rules>+Add New and add dolphin and konsole selecting Remember for Size, Position, and Virtual Desktop. Also under Window class select "exact match" and enter dolphin or konsole.

Hope this helps.

Migrated from Linux Mint 17.3/18.3 KDE to KDE neon User Edition.
agentx
Registered Member
Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I went through everything in those settings, but can't hurt to take another look. Thanks again.
0xCAP
Registered Member
Can confirm I'm encountering exactly the same issue on KDE neon User Edition 5.19, using Plasma DE and Kwin WM. IIRC this has become happening after I've installed i3 just for the sake of trying it, then after uninstalling it and all of its relative dependencies and switching back to KWin I've noticed both Konsole and Dolphin would only start maximized. The i3 tryout process may be unrelated though, moreso if other people are noticing the same issue. Is there any non-trivial process to try and debug the issue by ourselves? Even simply finding out where and how the start up size is stored would be a great starting point. I need to fix this, it's triggering my OCD badly. :'(

EDIT:
Solved! After losing some hours of sleep trying to figure out where the startup window size preferences were stored, i found out they are saved in:
Code: Select all
~/.config/konsolerc

So I inspected the file and found out a bunch of suspicious lines:
Window-Maximized 1016x1807=true
Window-Maximized 614x1093=true
Window-Maximized 647x1150=true
Window-Maximized 864x1536=true
Window-Maximized 904x1205=true
Window-Maximized 909x1617=true

So I proceeded by removing those lines from the file and ta-daan: issue solved!
codeimperfect
Registered Member
I found out they are saved in:
~/.config/konsolerc

So I inspected the file and found out a bunch of suspicious lines:
Window-Maximized 1016x1807=true
Window-Maximized 614x1093=true
Window-Maximized 647x1150=true
Window-Maximized 864x1536=true
Window-Maximized 904x1205=true